Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Listen to your students

The lesson in topic 3 is right. LISTEN, then get to the bottom of the problem. Some of our students go to many people before they get a clear answer to their questions. The problem is people think they are too busy to listen or, even worse, don't want to be bothered. Some people say I'm "too soft" with students or "giving in" to them. I don't feel that way at all. A student wants a voice, even if they don't get the answer they were looking for. I want students to come to me with their concerns. How else is one to know how students feel?

I've never understood the staff and faculty who feel that it is their responsibility to ‘toughen up' students. It is important to teach them problem solving skills, but as you point out, this begins with listening. It's hard to give guidance if you don't really know what the issue is.

I agree to get to the jest of a student's problems we have to be good listeners. We have to listen with our heart as well as with our head. However, we must not get involved beyond giving assistance to help the students solve their own problems. Most of the time they know the solution to their problems, but it is difficult for them to see such solutions. We need to listen not only with our ears, but also observe their vocal tone and body expressions. The student must conceive that we care and that we are willing to assist them in the finding of their own solutions. By allowing them to express their feeling they frequently gain an understanding as to what behavior they need to follow to solve their problems by clear thinking and by getting the problem out in the open for them to ponder on. Also if we parrot back what they are saying in a posative manner, the solution becomes apparent to them.

Behavior modification is never easy and frequently, that is what is required to solve problems. Students haven't learned to clearly define their goals and then take actions that support that objective. Many schools are now including this kind of goal setting training in their course work.

Many students just need someone who will listen to their concerns. Most of the time they can resolve minor issues just by talking to someone that really cares.

A majority of students today come from one parent families or from families where both parents work. The student has little time to spend with their parents. If they are failing or seem not interested in school it could be a self esteem problem and they just need an instructor to assure them they can be a success and do have self worth. A little praise can turn a student around and go a long way.

Praise can be a powerful motivator, but if done wrong can open a student to ridicule from his/her classmates. Do you have a guidelines for praising a student, Jimmy?

This ones really good! It seems for me the struggle comes, when I'm the last person the student comes to for help! Even though I agree with the process and step one "LISTEN," I seem to always have to sort through the students confusion from talking to others prior to me. It almost seems like the student is going to as many staff members and fellow students they can, to get the answer they are looking for, before I get to them... Hard to explain! Usually the conversation comes full circle and everything works out o.k. thank goodness.

Approachability is a trait each instructor should possess. With that said, a student will be more comfortable voicing his feelings to his instructor. With effective listening and problem solving skills an instructor can help students with a myriad of problems.

I agree with this comment. Listen to your studnets. It will take you to the root of problem. It also open up the doors for different perspectives.

When we listen, we also have to remember to get the full story. I have had students complain about other instructors, their teaching methods, etc, to find out the student only shows up part of the time. The whole story really matters when listening.

Sign In to comment