Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

one student

What are some ideas that I can use when there is only one student starting? We have open enrollment. We do not work with groups starting class at the same time.

Rosalba--

Excellent question. Rolling enrollment is a challenge in getting any type of synergy from a group.

I would suggest that you consider implementing some type of student ambassador/mentoring program where current students might assist in transitioning new enrollments. These students could receive some type of recognition (even a certificate and an 'award ceremony' is adequate most times)

Susan

Susan:

Do you think is appropiate to prepare the whole orientation day, including faculty members, departments representatives and classmates to talk about their experiences if is just one or two students? Do you think is fear ig we wait to do the orientation when we have more new students? We have open enrollment as Rosalba school, some time we just have two or 3 new students per session of five weeks.

The best scenario for small groups of students is probably to schedule a personalized orientation of some sort. Discussions with all the appropriate people should still be held, but could take place in their offices, etc.

What students DO miss if you do it this way, is an opportunity to interact with other new students. The student-to-student bonding is also important. Perhaps you could hold an event of some sort that would allow them to interact with other students in an informal setting.

Have the student orient and meet with the instructor they will have. This will give them someone in the class with whom they will feel some familiarity with on the first day.

I would do a "private" orientation. Instead of the faculty and staff come to the student, take the student around to meet everyone. That way the student learns where everything is in the school and where to find certain people if needed. I would make that student feel more welcome.

We also have open enrollment so we try to make our smaller orientations very personalized and open. The students meets with student services to obtain their ID and supplies, then they meet with career services to discuss externship/job search assistance, and then we end with their instructor at their classroom where they could meet their future classmates (if class is in session). When we have large groups, the different people would just speak at orientation so I feel like the smaller groups have the advantage.

Sign In to comment