Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Putting our best foot forward

I'm often times amazed at how many students are lost in the first two weeks of school because of an instructor who is not student focused and uses the philosophy that they are going to "weed out" students during that first week to avoid drops later. The first week of school is a time when every member of faculty and staff is solely focused on the successful integration of the new students.

Anamaria--

How true! Students are much more 'fragile' than some faculty understand...it can be very intimidating to return to school. How the instructors interact with students during the first week or two can make a huge difference.

Susan

Each person that has ever started a new program or semester has experience different types of fear. Fear not to be smart enough. Fear not to fit in. Fear to be rejected and many other fears, so is the responsibility of the school to provide an effective support system for all the students.

Rosalba--

Absolutely correct. Helping new students to overcome those fears and to feel that they have a support system at the institution is key to student retention efforts.

Susan

I address the fear directly. I ask, "What is the worst thing that can happen?" Most involves math or public speaking. I tell them we will go step by step and work together. I let them know sucess is the outcome I am looking for. I want to always be as positive as possible. Nothing fake, I want them to improve themselves. Their lack of self-esteem is the biggest issue to hurtle.

I too address them directly. I tell them I know what it is like to go to school and have to work full time. I try to make a connection right away.

Too often we, as educators forget that we were at some point in the students shoes. I am a true believer in looking at ourselves through the students eyes. As we progress in our chosen field we tend to forget the things that we apprecieated most from our teachers. I try to look back and use the techniques that I remember my favorite teachers used to make me feel like I belonged.

Thomas--

Excellent point. We have all had instructors whom we felt made a real difference for us. Remembering those and then modeling those same qualities makes a significant difference.

Susan

Sign In to comment