Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

EduPreneurial Spirit

Drawing from your own background and experiences, please give practical examples of how the EduPreneurial Spirit can benefit the students, the employees, and the school.

Traits of the 3 M's

Please discuss some traits you think would be valuable to Model, Mentor and Monitor to the students.

Retention

One aspect of good retention is student interest and satisfaction. Students persist because they see value in the material they are learning. The challenge of an educational manager is how to get the faculty to make their courses or presentations interesting. What can be done in the classes that will make a student want to come to school the next day?

Impacting the Student Retention

I support the report of Tinto about the greater students' involvement or integration in the life of the college, the greater the likelihood that they will persist. Every institution should develop multiple and creative activities that motivate the students to get involved in the academic and sociocultural activities provided. In my opinion, the ability of an institution to fulfill the social integration of the students is a powerful factor in persistence. Nevertheless this is not an easy task due to the multicultural diversity of the students.

Importance to the Intervention Process

In my opinion, when an overwhelmed student walks into your office looking for support, the key intervention is to listen, listen, and listen. Listening is important because it is the best way to understand the situation that is provoking stress in the student. However, while listening is extremely important, also remember to be emphatic and work with the student to create options. The student should be referred to helpful resources either outside or inside the school. For this reason it is important to be familiar with every service available in the institution or in the community. Networking is also a… >>>

School Commitment

I think that every school should have in their educative objectives a commitment for the student success. The high percentege of drop outs in the educational system is an indicator of this lack of support. Most of the students are trying to cope with different stressful situations outside and inside of the school which triggers their decision to drop out. I have noticed that students receiving the support and interest of the staff and faculty persist in their commitment to education.

meeting with students/satisfaction

On our institution we use to place a meeting in every part of term. Student enroll in each course designates a student which will represent the group and will bring to the meeting the issues presented by the the group. Usually the student presents the issues (teacher, academic, administrative etc.)that cause their insatisfaction. After the meeting all issues are revised and whenver possible actions are taken. For the next meeting we present information about the issues and what actions were taken. This a way to deal with the insatisfaction of student and they feel very pleased :-)because not only has… >>>

It can all come together if everyone is committed and on the same page

Vincent Tinto also said, “Here the evidence of effective programs is clear, namely that the route to successful retention lies in those programs that ensure, from the very outset of student contact with the institution, that entering students are integrated into the academic community and acquire the skills and knowledge needed to become successful learners in those communities. In short, improvements in the quality of student life and learning, not retention, should be the goal of all retention initiatives.” I was impressed with the emphasis that Topic #4 placed upon "everyone" in our institutions understanding the importance of student success.… >>>

Importance of connecting with students throughout their enrollment.

This section highlights the importance of advisors and faculty taking interest in students throughout their enrollment with the institution. Relationships mean everything and if a student doesn't have a relationship with faculty or staff then it will be so easy for them to fall through the cracks and determine to leave before anyone can do something to positively impact their thinking processes. The intervention process chronicled here is good and can be helpful; however, the reader should be reminded that this is not rocket science. This is people taking a caring and thoughful approach toward other people's problems. As stated… >>>

Academic Support and Advising is Critical

The topic of how stress influences student attrition lays a tremendous foundation for institutions to consider the support and advising mechanisms that are in place to assist students. Looking for indicators of stress and responding appropriately could make the difference for a student. I've seen students who have felt disconnected from the institution and its community and how hard it is for them to maintain commitment. Substantive interaction with an advisor on an ongoing basis can help with this. Integrating and connecting students to the campus community can also create a circumstance whereby a student has more to lose than… >>>

Changing Long-Established Faculty Perspectives About Retention

I oversee faculty at my institution and I'm trying to overcome a cultural problem whereby many faculty have a negative view of the retention discussion. The perception is that there are many students that we just can't do anything about and we shouldn't spend time and resources trying to salvage them. They believe the time and resources are better served focusing on the students who are likely to succeed. Subsequently, the institution hasn't developed any support structures to help under-prepared or under-performing students. It is a sink or swim culture. I'm moving to create some of these support structures irrespective… >>>

one student

What are some ideas that I can use when there is only one student starting? We have open enrollment. We do not work with groups starting class at the same time.

Observation

The RT101 was very informational for me. It has inspired me to do more training and to learn more to help the instructors and students.

Comment

Comment, Module 3 was very helpful for me, because there were some strategies that I was not aware about.

ideas

I welcome ideas to keep my students and instructors motivated.

Let students show what they are learning

Our college is organizing an informal gathering that students can invite their friends or family to come see their work. I think it will boost morale to let them show their work without being graded or critiqued.

Listen to your students

The lesson in topic 3 is right. LISTEN, then get to the bottom of the problem. Some of our students go to many people before they get a clear answer to their questions. The problem is people think they are too busy to listen or, even worse, don't want to be bothered. Some people say I'm "too soft" with students or "giving in" to them. I don't feel that way at all. A student wants a voice, even if they don't get the answer they were looking for. I want students to come to me with their concerns. How else… >>>

How to get a troubled student to open up.

Sometimes I have students who are experiencing depression. How do I get them to open up with out getting to personal?

Identify student problems early.

Most students that drop here do so in the first or second term. We track attendance daily. Also, learning the students' name early on seems to make a big difference. It shows that we care enough to know who they are and that makes discussing their concerns easier.We get a sheet with the students' photo I.D., their name and program of interest. Memorize it. I wonder how many schools do this?

Putting our best foot forward

I'm often times amazed at how many students are lost in the first two weeks of school because of an instructor who is not student focused and uses the philosophy that they are going to "weed out" students during that first week to avoid drops later. The first week of school is a time when every member of faculty and staff is solely focused on the successful integration of the new students.