Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

ideas

I welcome ideas to keep my students and instructors motivated.

What do you do now, Rosabla?

I have a suggestion box in he student lounge and remind them periodically of things coming up in the school and ask that they make suggestions of things they would like to see happen or iplement on the campus

A suggestion box can be a useful tool, but it does require careful diligence. It must be checked frequently - probably daily - to assure that you are responding to input on a timely basis. [checking the box when students are around is one way to show them that you are serious.]

You also have to respond quickly to the student, privately, about the suggestion. It is also important to report the suggestion, without disclosing the name of the student, and the action taken to the student body. This can be done by posting your response near the suggestion box and in a student newsletter. By doing this you validate the process and again confirm its value to you and the students.

One idea that I think helps keeps students is to teach them how to STUDY. We spend so much time EXPECTING them to study, but some of them don't have a clue of HOW to study. I attended a program where the instructor spent the entire first day on study and stress relief techniques. She also told us that she was dyslexic, so it gave us the feeling that if she had a learning disability and had a PhD, we could do it as well!!

I think you're right, Jeff. We all assume that students know the basics - like how to study, take notes, and organize their work. Unfortunately, as you point out, that's not always the case.

I am seeing more and more schools that are using a transitional course to present these, and other useful skills to the entering students. Topics include goal setting, communication skills, time management, budgeting and stress management skills.

Is your school doing anything like this? Do you have any specific suggestions for others to use?

Sign In to comment