Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

It can all come together if everyone is committed and on the same page

Vincent Tinto also said, “Here the evidence of effective programs is clear, namely that the route to successful retention lies in those programs that ensure, from the very outset of student contact with the institution, that entering students are integrated into the academic community and acquire the skills and knowledge needed to become successful learners in those communities. In short, improvements in the quality of student life and learning, not retention, should be the goal of all retention initiatives.”

I was impressed with the emphasis that Topic #4 placed upon "everyone" in our institutions understanding the importance of student success. What else can we point to that justifies our existence as educators? It makes you wonder why we find so much resistence to and avoidance of this basic principle? Everyone should be willing to review their role to determine how it impacts student success and if appropriate to the objective, make adjustments accordingly.

Retention is the by-product of doing the right things the right way. The index reflects the quality of student life and learning. Thanks for the quote from Tinto, Tracey.

It does seem that some educators are more dedicated to his/her discipline than the process of education. I suspect that this leads to some of the resistance you reference although I don't understand why someone who is passionate about an area of interest doesn't want to share that joy.

Tracy Im agree with you. All the employees in the institution should be comitted with retention and excellence in the service.
Students are as you say what justify our existence as educators.
The organizational culture should be address in that way. I use to involved all the personnel and periodically meetings and seminars works. It helps to get people involved and comitted.
In the meetings we do with students representatives we invite members of the staff to participate and answer so many questions related to areas that are related to academic affairs per se,but actually have to do with their satisfaction..for example security, library, foods,enrollment, etc.

I agree as well.Today we had a 6 wk student who wanted to quit a 11 month program. I was with an other teacher who agreed and helped me talk the student into re-thinking her life. She has come through most of the hard work and the classroom work and tests are boring her. We both promised that she was not the first to want to stop,but that the best was yet to come. That this school & career are worth the struggle. It's the key to her new life & we are here to help.

Everyone should be willing to help a student. If a particular person is not successful then they should ask some one else to offer help.

Sign In to comment