Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

In this Module it explains what attriton (quitting) is, why is not explained in module 1 when at that point is when you first read about the word

Retention is one side of the coin; attrition the other, Melanie. When the attrition rate goes down, the retention rate goes up.

Most of these problems are not seen by the instructors at this school we see a student for three weeks. These problems could be handled by counselors.

True enough...but we (Instructors) get regular reports of abscences/tardies. Other signs--like classroom participation--are also there if you look. Example: I have "homework assignments", and it is telling when a student never completes them. Counselors would be a good choice--but who is responsible for sending the student to their office? Who is the first responder?

It seems to me that the person who encounters a problem or issue is the person to make the referral to a counselor. Who else would know about the problem?

Why do you allow a student to not complete homework assignments? This seems to send the message that the work isn't important or needed to be successful in the course.

The question is not why do you allow...rather the question is how to you motivate students to finish. These are adult people, and while homework will help make the learning process easier and cause retention of material to go up, you are competing with jobs and family for time. I do not believe you would suggest we ask them to leave the classroom until they complete the assignment. While the instructor may speak with them about the importance of outside work, rarely is the work absolutely required to pass. It simply makes success more likely. As you stated, this is their problem. While I can speak/listen to why they don't do it, I can only hope to motivate. Dismissal is not an option unless/until they totally fail the course.

Thanks for the thoughtful response. Points well made.

Sign In to comment