Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Let students show what they are learning

Our college is organizing an informal gathering that students can invite their friends or family to come see their work. I think it will boost morale to let them show their work without being graded or critiqued.

Is this the first time you are trying this, Andre? Will all students have an opportunity to participate? Will you have different events for each program you offer?

We offer five programs here but we are going to involve two at a time to see how things turn out. This will be the first time to try something like this.

My school is planning on having quarterly activities for students and their families. (ie. Octoberfest, Spring Fling, etc.) We will have a bounce house for the kids, a visit by a local radio station, random drawings for prizes and game booths run by each program offered in our facility, hot dogs, popcorn and more. The Massage students will be giving chair massages and Nursing and Medical Assisting students will be performing blood pressure checks, all under the direct supervision of their instructors. We are hoping this will not only help student retention but also instill a sense of pride into our students.

Sounds like a great program, Louise. How long have you been doing this? Do you have any objective or subjective results? Is this open to the public? Does admissions participate?

We also apply this at my school we take students to a small theater and play the students final projects.

The final project is to add sound to a film. All the students really like it and for them to know that there work will be presented to an audience pushes them to work harder and also smarter.

I assume that the students invite family and friends. Do you invite prospective employers, prospective new students or the teachers of the graduating students to this event? Expanding the audience might serve additional purposes and provide the graduates more exposure to their work.

You can let students know that they are learning in various ways. I teach lab courses, and of course I assist students during the application process. During this time I have found a very effective procedure. By placing on their syllabus an Initial-Mark Space which is not initialed until the student has successfully completed the project. I examine their work in progress to see if they are on the right wavelength, however, I do not initial their form until successful completion has occurred. If errors are made, I point them out and have the student make necessary corrections before I will initialize. Also at this point in time, I discuss the learning project with the student as to what they have created and why. The students get immediate feedback on their work, and also learn from their mistakes as well as the understanding as to what they have accomplished. I compliment their success before, during, and after the corrections. They know by teacher/student interaction that I am definitely interested in their progress and this tends to promote their self esteem with the concept that they can learn complex material and tend to obtain the “I can do it!” attitude. Success tends to breed success, persistence, and self-confidence.

I have had students who will brag, "Oh, I know all about that." I invite them to come to the front of the class for a few minutes to teach. There was no embarassment. They felt empowered. The whole class enjoyed the experience. I sometimes have to correct the students inaccuracies but always gave them a "good job done."

Our school is going to have a health fair so the students can invite friends and family for participation in their new field.

I'm glad to hear that this tactic works for you. It hasn't had a happy ending when I've heard of others doing it. How do you decide that a student can handle the challenge?

Another great aspect of this is when the instructor is trying to explain a concept and the students just do not seem to get it. Sometimes when I see or hear a student who understands what is going on, I ask that student to come up front and "teach" the rest of the class. Sometimes the students can say something that I have not said or in a different way that the others understand. It also keeps the frustration level to a minimum for both the instructor and the students!

Some instructors formalize this practice and include it routinely as an assignment for students. Others form groups where students are expected to share responsibility for teaching the concepts.

How often do you use this technique, Cindy?

We have a Techfest where the students can build projects. Their families are invited to attend the competition. Their classmates also view the projects, which inspires lower quarter students.

Neat! What sorts of projects do the students build? Are prospective employers encouraged to attend?

I think this is agreat idea are students family's don't come to our campus until they graduate I think a family night would be a good idea

Let the students shine. Sometimes organizations forget they exist for the students the students do not exist for the them. And never forget the goal of every instructor is to make themselves usless. Let the students have the limelight.

Sign In to comment