Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Changing Long-Established Faculty Perspectives About Retention

I oversee faculty at my institution and I'm trying to overcome a cultural problem whereby many faculty have a negative view of the retention discussion. The perception is that there are many students that we just can't do anything about and we shouldn't spend time and resources trying to salvage them. They believe the time and resources are better served focusing on the students who are likely to succeed. Subsequently, the institution hasn't developed any support structures to help under-prepared or under-performing students. It is a sink or swim culture. I'm moving to create some of these support structures irrespective of past perspectives, but I don't doubt that it is going to be difficult to change long-established faculty views. Thoughts?

Tracey, there is no question that old views are very difficult to change; particularly if the faculty feels that they are the only ones working on the “problem”. They must see that there is a systemic approach to improving retention. This includes support from administration and a belief that admissions is trying to recruit “graduates”, not just “numbers”. Hopefully, you have been given some resources and authority to make effective changes.

It is also important to include the student in this equation. Faculty can't “salvage” students. Only the student has the ability to take the steps necessary to succeed. Lowering standards to solve this week's problem [or any other salvage practices] will only postpone the inevitable. The students must be helped to understand the challenges they face, appreciate the available resources and develop the motivation needed to reach their goal.

Loren, you are quite correct. The comment regarding "salvaging" students is just a descriptor of an attitude that some faculty have about working with under prepared or underachieving students. I see some faculty struggling with a perception that providing learning resources outside of class is equivalent to "coddling" or "hand-holding". The perception is that this creates an unrealistic environment that won't be available to students when they get into the industry. I would like to see some change in the faculty culture that allows room for making an impact on students who with a little extra assistance can succeed and realize their education and career goals. Student motivation is something that can be positively or negatively impacted by faculty in and outside of the classroom. My challenge is to lead the discussion in that direction and help create an environment of openness about what some of these students can achieve with a little extra support.

Unfortunately, it seems many faculty members forget that they didn't always know the basics of their discipline. They assume that entering students know, or know where to find, the information they need to get started. The game of "they'll figure it out if they want it badly enough" can be devastating to students.

Does anyone have any suggestions about changing this mind set?

I know it is very hard hard to change some mind set. But i will suggest or aks iy you Tracey have discussed the retention matters deeply with faculty. In the previous forum i was telling that is necessary to continue meetingd and seminar throughout the year. Faculty needs to be motivated in order to motivate students.
It is possible to track.. you can track attendance by course and discuss with tha instructor the results? Do you make students evaluation at end of course. This is a tool that will help when you have to deal with faculty issues..individually.
Other idea is to assign a lead faculty let say for each academic program and this leader can help you identyfing issues or faculty that needs
to be contacted directly, etc...This leader do periodic meetings with specific issues to discuss.

Thanks for your input, Elvira. Do you have retention related standards for your faculty performance reviews? If so, what do you look for and how do you weight it relative to other key result areas?

Actually we dont have an established standard but we do have a document for students to report situation related to faculty and we keep record by faculty member, so we can track if the situation is repetitive. The end of course evaluation has many specific items to measure the student perspective the instructional techniques, course module,activities in classroom, etc. So this evaluation covers the professor, the course, the module, self-evaluation of learning results.
By the way I mention before that we ask professors to call students before the course starts. Also we request a report from the teacher to certify hoy many students in classroom, by the third day of the course.

At our school, I am on the Retention Committee. We are composed of all the directors of every program, and one person from each department. At our meetings, we discuss any problems we may be having and it gives the faculty and staff a chance to speak with each other on ways to solve any issues. It is sometimes difficult trying to get everyone to understand different practices, but we see positive results because we discuss issues together instead of ignoring them.

How often does this committee meet, Sara? Have you been able to identify any systemic problems that you were able to correct? Have you considered getting admissions involved? Sometimes this is a useful way to make them aware of how problems play out.

We probaly will need to fist have your staff understand that is not all about them is about us. What we present affects all of us.
Try educating them on your companys standards and mission/vison. SOmetimes is the reaction of fear, they have never had a direction of the objective or goal of the company and now they are afraid to find out. "Fear of failing"

Hopefully the vision/mission is clearly presented to all new hires so they shouldn't be surprised to hear the information at another time. If your standards are well understood and consistantly applied, fear of failure shouldn't be an issue.

Changing the culture of an institution is always hard. At our school we have implemented Faculty Development meetings every month, and of course, at each meeting retention comes up. This is an excellent way for faculty to bring up situations they are experiencing and brainstorm with other faculty. I find this is especially effective for new faculty. Often times we can collectively decide to try a new approach to a certain situation and at the next meeting we will discuss if the change has had any effect, good or bad, and do we want to continue the change.

Honest, non threatening, respectful, open communication, with all parties, and an open mind, willing to take on challenges and make changes are some of the keys to changing faculty perspectives.

Retention is EVERYONES job. From the maintenance personnel to the president.

Retention IS everyone's job. The practice of brainstorming solutions at faculty meetings is a great way for people to become engaged in solutions. It is particularly useful to show that others are having the same problems.

What sort of new practices has your institution implemented as a result of these discussions, Laura?

Sign In to comment