Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Importance of connecting with students throughout their enrollment.

This section highlights the importance of advisors and faculty taking interest in students throughout their enrollment with the institution. Relationships mean everything and if a student doesn't have a relationship with faculty or staff then it will be so easy for them to fall through the cracks and determine to leave before anyone can do something to positively impact their thinking processes. The intervention process chronicled here is good and can be helpful; however, the reader should be reminded that this is not rocket science. This is people taking a caring and thoughful approach toward other people's problems. As stated in this section, the act of listening and being a sounding board can mean all the difference in helping the student work through the problem.

Amen, Tracey. It really is simple – do you really care and if so, what will you do about as a person and an institution. I have just returned from a conference for people involved in First Year Experience programs. One of the recurring themes was the impact that even one person can have on student success. There is the obvious person-to-person effect but there is also a ripple effect as other school personnel become engaged. And you're right – it isn't rocket science. Thanks for your observations.

I think the bigger issue is how do we achieve this? As an administrator we are available for the student but we can't be in the classrooms, or in the break areas all the time. We do our best to get the word out that we are here for them but what else can be done?

And in reality, perhaps administrators shouldn't be omnipresent in the classroom and break area. I believe that administrators can set the tone without being constantly in the public eye. Actually it was my objective to have layers between me and student issues. First, I was unwilling/unable to manage all the little items that surface and secondly, I wanted front line people to part of the solution.

I found that when I made decisions that impacted staff and faculty I left myself open for second guessing and criticism. Frequently, it was a no win situation. By putting basic decision making responsibility and authority at the point of contact dramatically improved that situation. Others become more introspective and began to realize the inter-related nature of decisions. It also improved morale by giving staff and faculty the ability to manage their world.

I work at a school and we have many students that have lots of problem and no one to talk to. I have learned that just by listening and taking the time to here someone out dose make a lot of diffrence as well as remembering everything that they tell you, even just remebering their names can make a diffrence. In reality all it takes is a lending ear and a show of intrest. Try it one day and see the responce you get from a student. Tust me it will make your day to here some one say "WOW I CANT BELEVE YOU REMEBERED!!"

I take interest in my students' problems and send them to managers or advisors if i can't help. After they leave my class I have no way to check on their progress.

Iagree. In this fast paced world, everyone is out to get ahead no matter what. We need to take the time to listen and help. We may be the only ones in a student's life who will take the time to do this.

Sign In to comment