Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

School Commitment

I think that every school should have in their educative objectives a commitment for the student success. The high percentege of drop outs in the educational system is an indicator of this lack of support. Most of the students are trying to cope with different stressful situations outside and inside of the school which triggers their decision to drop out. I have noticed that students receiving the support and interest of the staff and faculty persist in their commitment to education.

Having an objective that mandates a schools commitment is not going to have a significant impact. That would just be grounds for dismissal if that commitment was not met. You are absolutely right about commitment to the student. When a student sees, feels, or senses the commitment of the staff and faculty, they will persist. They realize that we care about their education and future. However, commitment to the student is an internal drive that each educator must have. Each member of the staff must feel and experience commitment to the students and the school, it cannot be implanted, it can only be nourished and developed. Look at your faculty stats, those who have a strong commitment to the success of the students, have a good retention rate.

Good points, Betzaida. How do you develop increased awareness of these situations among you faculty and staff? Do have any thoughts about why some students receive support and interest while others don't seem to get connected?

How do you measure commitment in prospective faculty members, Lance? Is there a way to look into someone's psyche to determine their predisposition to working with students? What does your institution do to nourish and develop commitment to students?

There isnt a way to look into someones psyche to determine their predisposition to working with students...it is not easy. But if you can revisit the process for recruiting faculty it could help a lot.
Lets say not only the resume and interview. there some activities that can be done to evaluate prospective faculty members attitudes and techniques in classroom and evaluating studentes.
We use some short activities and a group of evaluators that has a rubric to evaluate them.
Examples: ask them to correct a student work
Doing a teamwork activity
Writing and essay
20 minute class
I know this is not very esay to implement and is not a 100%, but it help to screen prospective faculty members.

After an initial interview, I have my prospective instructors return and give a "Platform Evaluation". This consists of a 15-20 minute class and evaluation by several faculty and staff members. It is not foolproof, but does give me an idea of how they will project themselves in the classroom.

A "test drive" can be very useful. What feedback do you give candidates? Do you use this observation as the basis for training? Do you ever hire someone even if they were too nervous to do a good job?

How can you become a efficient instructor if you are not committed to your school

You might be efficient, but you wouldn't necessarily be effective.

How do you define effective? Does the institution have a different criteria than an individual instructor?

At our institution we also have the prospective faculty member give a guest lecture. A 20 - 30 minute lecture on the topic the class is studying at the time. This helps to see how the prospect relates to the students and how the students relate to the prospect. It also helps to confirm knowlege content on the prospects part. We have often times had prospective faculty members have great interviews, but then are so nervous to do the lecture they do not show up. I have even had prospects that I did not think interviewed well, but did a dynamic job in the guest lecture. This is a very helpful tool.

I have also learned that you need to ask different types of questions in the interview process to find out their committment level, knowledge level and how they handle stressful situations.

Laura, is the presentation done by the prospective instructor to a group of current students in a normal class meeting? Does this lecture replace or supplement the regular instructor's lecture?

You are absolutely correct in that a successful retention program requires a TOTAL school commitment. The retention process and commitment begins when the student first enters and continues through graduation. While education and instructors play a significant role in the process, every department has a critical part and can directly affect the results. Having everyone on the same retention page is an absolute necessity to achieve your objective.

Yes, current students are in the classroom to ask questions and get feedback. This also lets us see how the students and prospect interact with each other. It also tests product knowledge, on the part of the prospect.

It is a supplemental lecture on the topic the students are currently in. We usually have an instructor in their from that program also.

What has been the success rate of your instructors?

Lance, you are perfectly right ; so is Betzaida. However, I would like to go a step further. Even if the teacher has that inherent zeal to work with students, Corporate responsibility and support is absolutely essential. A teacher can do only that much, he/she can pull/push the cart only that far. Without that proper vehicle, even teacher can come to that point in the paradigm when attrition even for the most dedicated teacher becomes an option. How many teachers have you seen quit the school system or the private institutions where the support from the top is not forht coming? In fact, that is emdemic. Yes, teacher dedication is imperative, so are many other factors for students dropping out. Let us keep everything in perspective.

Good point, Harinder. Staff turnover rates frequently are [or should be] part of the administrative performance matrix. Many of the principles presented here for student retention apply equally to staff/faculty retention.

Does your institution evaluate its management team on turnover rates?

Every school should be commited to the students
unfortunately they care more about filling seats
and money.The school I work at is that way.I enjoy
helping students learn,but it would be alot easier
if I had support from the people up front.

This is a rather familiar lament, Wade. What sort of support do you want from the "people up front"?

Sign In to comment