Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Importance to the Intervention Process

In my opinion, when an overwhelmed student walks into your office looking for support, the key intervention is to listen, listen, and listen. Listening is important because it is the best way to understand the situation that is provoking stress in the student. However, while listening is extremely important, also remember to be emphatic and work with the student to create options. The student should be referred to helpful resources either outside or inside the school. For this reason it is important to be familiar with every service available in the institution or in the community. Networking is also a great resource as a means of getting the student connected.

It's real tough to be helpful if you don't take time to know what help is needed. Betzaida, do you have any in-service programs that bring community service providers into the school to make everyone aware of services that are available? Is there a specific point of contact in your institution for students? For community agencies? Are staff and faculty encouraged to get involved with these community organizations? If so, do you provide extra pay or comp time?

I have found that many overwhelmed students were overwhelmed from day one. They were rushed through the admissions process and their needs were overlooked or ignored. "Don't worry about it. We'll take care of everything" is the famous line prospective students are given. I have had students enrolled that have no job, no reliable transportation and yes, even students that do not have a reliable place to live. I always refer to "Maslow's Heirarcy of Needs". If their basic needs are not met (ie. food, shelter etc.), school will just be another burden on them. How does one address this with the Admissions department? In my educational facility, Admissions in responsible for the start numbers, Education is responsible for the drops.

The road to enlightment starts with basic human needs. You are absolutely correct that a student without a place to live or meet their obligations can't be expected to be an engaged student.

The answers to your questions really defines your institution's culture. The answer to quality versus quantity starts with the institution's leadership. I don't think the two concepts are mutually exclusive, but firmly believe that quantity follows quality. However, everyone must understand reality: not every recruit will be a Rhodes scholar and tuition revenue sets the budget.

Faculty can contribute to improvement by soliciting new student referrals from current students who are representative of the students they want to see in the future.

Creating a multi-departmental retention review team may be another way of dealing with this issue.

Does you school have any mechanism for the differing points of view to talk?

Early communication is a key part of the intervention process. Being visible and accessable is critical and continuous communication with the students is necessary. The key is for the student to feel confortable with you and confident that you will try your best to help him/her to resolve the issue.

There is no question that early communication about a developing problem will greatly impact student persistence. Unfortunately, this usually requires the student to initiate the action and that's where things get complicated.

Charles, how do you get your students to seek help before a problem has escalated to crisis status? Is the instructor usually the first point of contact or do they seek help from support staff?

I believe one of the most important things we can do is listen.

Charles , I agree being visible and accessable is key in gaining the ear of your student they need to think of you as part of the solution and not part of the problem. As instructors we need to let the students know that we are here to help !

I completely agree with you. It doesn't matter what you are working on; you must stop and give that student attention immediately. Don't send them away and ask them to come back at a later time. Chances are, they won't come back.

Sign In to comment