Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Model, Mentor and Monitor

The 3 M's is what we call a TSI = Total School Involvement plan.

Student Mentor

We have not tried this. Sounds like it could be an effective way to help new students make connections with the institution and other students. Has anyone tried having the Student Council involved in this type of activity?

Want to or Have to?

Many of us think of our jobs as a "have to". What a difference it would make in our daily lives if we could think about working as a "want to"! Well, we all work in education, which should make the transition really easy. How wonderful is it to think that you have made a positive difference in someone's life? And, if we do our jobs well, we can accomplish something toward that end every day -- a real reason to want to come to work and to do our best.

Help me Help you!

Intervention does not have to be one-on-one interaction behind closed doors, it can be public display. Create an Interactive bulletin board with common and not so common issues. Allow your population to help us help them. We are not and can not be the saviors of everyone but we can open the door to knowledge. Create a monitored school blog where your students can discuss and find solutions to their issues. Just a few ideas...

Instructor's with 100% retention!

Some would say that this is your best Instructor and if we had more like him/her we wouldn't have a retention problem! I say that there is a 98% chance that he/she is the root of your retention problem. I'm not saying that we don't have GREAT instructors in the business but I would bet if you really dig into the numbers you will find out that this instructor has a high grade average as well. If this is the case, then this instructor is doing you more harm then good. What happens is that this instructor falsely builds students… >>>

It Takes a Whole Village

In reading the posts on this forum, it reminded of the saying "it takes a whole village to raise a child." In our schools, it takes the involvement of all departments to identify and assist at-risk students. For example, a collector in the finance department notices that they are sending a past due notice to a student. Passing along that information to the DOE or program chair would provide an opportunity for us to talk with the student and perhaps refer them to career services for a part-time job. Or an instructor who notes that a student is frequently absent… >>>

Connecting with Every Student

The motto at our school is "Every Student - Every Day - Every Time." For instructors, this means making a personal connection with every student in class every day. Making that connection can be as simple as greeting the student by name as he/she walks into class. Telephone calls to absent students to touch base with them, let them know what they missed, and letting them know they were missed! For educational administrative staff, getting into the classrooms daily even if only for a few minutes to see what is going on, asking questions of students, participating briefly in a… >>>

How do you help the eager student before he burns-out?

This a problem that I've seen alot, the students that wants to know everything and want's to help on everything. How do you tell the student to be patient and not discourage them?

Students that are at the right school but dont want to be there

At my school we run into the problem that a student is in the right place for what he wants to become in life, but after a while (mainly when the program becomes difficult) they tend to loose interest, we try to encourage the student and remind him of why he is there. These are normally talks with the student. Does anyone have more suggestions on how to reach a student and not have to repeat the conversion?

Faculty Motivators

How do you motivate Faculty to be a part of Orientation? Our Orientation is the Friday before classes start and our faculty have no interest in cutting their vacation time short a day in order to attend Orientation.

Orientation Content

After reviewing the threads regarding the length of orientation, we came to realize that our orientation runs longer than most. Amongst other things, we include an overview of important policies and guidelines (e.g. grading, attendance, conduct, etc). Do you feel this is necessary? Or is it too much information considering they receive a student handbook which contains all this information in detail?

First week attendance and performance

We are attempting to have a weekly meetng to award attendance and perfrmance certificates for new students. We may have multiple cohort groups in a single class;there is concern the older students will feel offended if they do not recieve awards as well. Do you agree or disagree?

Typical Orientation Length

Regardless of the orientation "style" or "format," what is the recommended length? We also include a one hour lunch with our orientation, but notice interest waning as the afternoon progresses. Any advice?

What about the wait period before orientation? How do you use it?

Does anyone have some activities they want to share concerning the pre-orientation period?

Orientation: What size fits best?

Has anyone noticed differences in retention and student performance related to the size and/or makeup of the orienting student group? By makeup I mean the program or major of the group was the same, within the same discipline, or mixed with other disciplines. It has seemed to me that by orienting by department yielded less attrition than when I have mixed disciplines.

What do you do about those that miss orientation?

Our school has orientation the week before start day. We do a pretty good job with those who attend, but many enroll after orientation. It is hard to get them together for an orientation. How do you handle this?

Making a Positive Impact

Making a positive impact within a learning environment should promote learning at all levels. Sometimes teachers, as well as administrators, are the worst students, due to ego issues, or else, and are negative towards learning from others. What are you doing in your institution to promote learning at all levels? Of course, this question goes also to the proctor: what do you recommend we should do to promote learning at all levels?

Improving Students Involvement Activities

Our university campus recently opened in this area. We are in the process of identifying the interests of our students in order to develop activities and improve our programs and services. This course has provided me with useful information in improving retention. We could implement the following: · Improve the tutoring services by assigning qualified senior students to freshman students. · A mentoring program. · On site career fairs including inviting professional organizations and professionals who have demonstrated success in the field to share their experiences. · Recognition awards including academic excellence, individual academic achievement, and perfect attendance. · Formal… >>>

Organizational Goal

Please describe an example of an organizational goal that would work well for the school you are at.

Motivating Students

Discuss examples of how to motivate students. What are some ways you could encourage them to succeed even if they don't think they can?