Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Initiating a negotiation with someone who doesn't want to negotiate

Anybody have any tips for negotiating with someone who doesn't want to even start negotiations? For example a car sales person who says "car price is as marked", or a landlord who wont return calls to negotiate a lease?

Hmmm, good question, how do you negotiate if they don't want to play? Having recently been through the selling and purchasing of a home my mind goes to: what's your "walking away line?" Meaning do they know that you are willing to walk if they don't give a little?

If you aren't & you really want the car or apartment, good negotiators can usually sense this & in essence they are "negotiating" by holding firm. They know you want the deal, the contract, the car, etc so they have you where they want you. Can you walk away & do they know this? I would think that's a place to start. On the other hand if they have a lot of potential buyers or renters, they may just not want to negotiate because they don't have to. An unsatisfactory answer, but sometimes the honest truth.
Ryan

I think the only way to deal with this would be to point out any possible benefit that the other person might gain from the negotiation. You may have to be creative in finding what the person values. Maybe the car salesman wants tickets to a concert that you happen to receive comped tickets for and don't care about going. No cost to you but that may get him off of his perch!

Lisa,
I agree that really the only recourse you have is to try to convince the other person that negotiating is in their best interest.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

You have to find some alternative options that will benefit the salesperson or landlord...

i.e. May offer to do some painting or repairs on the house or apartment...added value and offset to some price.

With the car offer to buy the extended warranty for some reduction in price...

Ken

agree....might want to sweeten the pot with goodies and not let him see any hesitancy to walk from the deal...

Kenneth,
I like your point here about finding alternative options. Too often we get locked into what we think is best & we could get further if we opened our minds a little.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

It may be helpful to build a positive connection first with the other person such as striking up a conversation before your negotiation begins. I personally find that works for me, even in a situation where negotiation seemed impossible at the beginning.

Agnes,
this is a good point & it helps all of us remember that the other person is a human & can bring a better feel to the situation.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I believe the “Framing” option can help a great deal in these situations, along with reasonable expectations to back up your framing.

For the car dealer – “ I know you want $5000 for the car, and you may get that someday, but I am willing to pay $4500 today, and I need to hear back from you by time/date. I know Joe at other dealer can make this deal work for me, but I would rather do business with you.”

Same for the landlord – state what you are offering up front with a clear deadline and offer information about the surrounding area – IE- there are 5 other homes within a 1 mile radius with these rental rates.

This will show that what you are asking is not unreasonable and creates a deadline, so you can choose to see if patience will work towards your favor, or move on with your BANTA.

Richard,
yes, this kind of framing in negotiation can be very powerful & helpful & like you said shows you're not manipulating or lowballing.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Ny sense is, for the car example, that you can begin with asking questions and trying to spark a conversation about the "why" of the car pricing. You can also present facts about similarily priced cars and if they are really interested in selling the car. Some people advertise cars just to have conversation.
As for the home example my thought would to start with an offer to purchase subject to conditions with a potential deposit to intice the seller into motion. It may also be helpful to point out the current conditions and if it appeared that the owner would quickly by putting out cash to maintain or improve the home as it stands

Sign In to comment