Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

E-mails

when I write e-mails to my co-workers I notice they don't respond as quick I will like. How can I make my Emails more interesting to the readers?

I think writing your main point or topic is what will get your reader's attention. Write short and to the point e-mails.

I believe that in order to catch someone's attention in an email the subject line has to summarize what the email is about. It should be something short but to the point.

The subject line should have the topic of conversation and the point you are trying to get across, write to get your reader's attention.

Thanks Isaris!

True, getting the reader's attention is more than half the battle to effectively communicating and the subject line can do that - plus clarify and set the tone for the message.

Jay Hollowell
ML116 Facilitator

Thanks Isabel! I too have found that emails that are simple and to the point help guard against mis-perceptions.

Jay Hollowell
ML116 Facilitator

Since enrolling in this course, I have been using the technique of including the key point of my message in the subject line. I am getting quicker and more useful replies to my company email now.

Hi Charles,

Thanks for your comment! The key point in the subject line, of course, helps to focus and prepare the reader for the body of the message. It's also, in a way, an attention-getter - helpful when there are 100 emails in the inbox! :)

Jay Hollowell

A few things that I use that I find make a difference:

I use a pointed subject line that very specifically addresses the topic of the email. I always think of how they would find this email if they were looking for it in thier inbox. I am also very careful to update a subject line of an email that has been passed around several times.

I also despise emails that contain only a lengthy attachment and nothing else so I always send an email highlighting what the attachment is about and why it is important to review. I often cut and paste a section of the document that may be critical and note that it is an excerpt. This saves the reader time from opening and reading the whole document if not necessary.

Lastly, I feel it is important to 'clean up an email' before forwarding it. Remove all the recipient names (sometimes takes up half the email) or unnecessary information and only forward pertinent information. Keep it short and concise so they don't have to read through a long string of comments.

Hi Amy,

These are all excellent ideas for making emails more manageable and palatable. Thanks you!

Jay Hollowell
ML116 Facilitator

Hi TO THE BOTH OF YOU i TWO LIKE E MIAL'S THAT ARE SIMPLE AND TO THE POINT AS WELL.

When Some email's are to long you can lose interest

First, I think it is important to fill the subject line with something that has meaning. Second, Keep your message focused, avoiding excessive information. Third, sometimes attachments can be a distraction and confusing, so try to avoid. Fourth, Be clear and concise. Fifth, make sure you proofread what you have written making sure you have described the content completely.
And, as a side note, never respond when you are angry unless you would not have a problem with the message taped to the outside of your office door in the morning.

One key important learning lesson I learned from this ML116 is, "What is in it for me?" phrase. If you can gear your email this way, response to emails are quick. Great lesson I learned from this ML116 course.

Hi Cynthia,

Agreed as well! Concise and proofed! Additionally, with a subject line that is descriptive enough to draw attention to the necessity of reading the email. I often re-describe FWs (forwards) with a more direct subject line, particularly if adding additional content to the message.

Jay Hollowell

I appreciate the reminder that the email document is as important as a personal letter to someone.

The purpose, outline and tone are very important things to remember in the composition of an email. I have found it useful to be state clearly and to the point what the subject is about.

Thanks Bernice,

That is a good point - business email communications need to be as succinct as possible to be effective given the number of emails we all receive on a daily basis.

Jay Hollowell

You've already assisted me with keeping my emails short and to the point; just like my discussion point!
Thanks Mr. Hollowell!

Sincerely,

Sign In to comment