Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Getting MY class involved.

I just started a new class I am having a very hard time getting them to speak up or give me any feedback.
When I ask them if they have questions they never do. When I ask them questions no one volunteers. Any advice?

Ask open ended questions not yes or no. Create an atmosphere in which they need to critically think there way through the new information that you just went over. If they still will not participation break them up into groups of two and have them review a section of the material. Atleast that allows for peer on peer learning. If they really not a social group have them do minute papers. Give them a minute to jot down all of the main concepts that they have learned or not learned. Another idea, as maybe they are more technological. Create a poll on polleverywhere.com (its free) and have them text in there answers. This allows for students afraid of having the wrong answer to answer anonimously without anyone knowing it. It also gives you the opportunity to explain the material again off of the way the poll goes (why one answer maybe be better than another one).

I agree with Kimberly, ask open ended questions that prompt a reply. It is also important to have a warm welcoming environment where no one feels threatened. If you know them well enough, call on one student. If the answer is wrong instead of saying so, re-direct the wrong response and give the correct one.

Sign In to comment