Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

ed 203

Technology is great in the education field, it helps instructors and students to widen their horizons on the subject at hand.

Learning Styles

What are some examples of classroom activities that are presented to adult learner through the learning styles of audio, visual or hands on? I have included these types of techniques which has increased the student interaction within class such as oral powerpoint presentations. In addition, I have given positive feedback and encouragement to the students during their presentations; which is great motivation for them.

Classroom Portal Discussions

One option that I have used in the past is to create a discussion thread thru our student portal by placing a question to discuss. I offer participation reward points for keeping the thread active. Students benefit too by checking in their portal for any new classroom info or any new announcements.

Wiki Assignments

I just signed up to wiki and told my class about it and put up an extra credit assignment and received the work from most of my students including some who sits in the back row. What a great tool to use, providing that the student has access to the internet. Not all students can afford this luxury.

Technology Drawbacks

While using these learning tools in the classroom works for most classes. I find that sometimes it can be a challenge when dealing with students who are not interested with doing the work. I like the idea and use it from time to time, but the challenge in my classroom is that I teach cooking and theory and technical points are crucial to success.

Internet can be used for valuable research

Generally, I encourage students to find more outside sources than the Internet--for example, books, newspapers, articles, etc. Mainly because students do not look hard enough into the Net for information-- as one of the slides pointed out, you really have to muddle through the information to find a source that could be considered academic. That said, there are indeed so many valuable resources as far as academic and scholarly type journals that are available on the web. It's finding a way to get that out to students....even though we have "library" day, they still don't seem to utilize that. Any… >>>

Instructor Interaction

We maintain learner's motivation in our school through a program that include animations, simulations, and drag-and-drop quiz activities.

Change Management

How do you encourage students to take a more active role in the learning process when they are accustomed to more traditional ways of teaching?

Using IPAD

Is the use of the ipad cost effective if given to every student to access for classroom learning?

Preparation for Certification exams

Since multiple choice exams are the standard for certification in my field I tend to use the text or other sources to create multiple choice based exams nearly to a fault, focus on certification is my motto

Use of McGraw Hill Connect

I am teaching from a text which uses McGraw Hill connect, the ability to pre set up the class and for the students to go at there own pace is great but the video in a large school lab has much to be desired with lag and freezes as well as flash errors. Does anyone know a system like connect that works in a large classroom?

eTexts

As a coding teacher I am finding the use of eText material somewhat challenging for my students, I have actually gone though reams of paper while students print exercises out in order to code from them. Any hints or apps that could help in this regard, like a way to right on eTexts?

New technology

Utilizing new methods of technology in the classroom is a great way to keep students engaged.

Do iPads ensure student attention

By using iPads in the classroom does the class participation improve or does learning improve or is use of any computer system a benefit?

Online Quizzes

How do you integrate online quizzes to your students? Also, what if there is a problem with students logging on or accessing these quizzes online?

Engaging the technology apprehensive student

Computer technology is a great tool to incorporate into lesson plans to make learning more engaging and fun. What techniques or ideas would be best to engage a student who is not computer literate or is apprehensive to embrace technology?

Technology for the sake of technology

From my experience the latest and greatest may not always be appropriate or beneficial as the training points out. I've always found that if you put technology "in the way" of learning it forces students to use it, but only put it there if it will enhance their ability to comprehend the material or will force them to dig deeper into it. By adding things of no value, the students will simply see it as overhead and may not use the technology as intended and it may even distract them from the actual goal of learning the material.

Active Learning

I am an instructor that teaches Vital Signs. One thing I like to do with the students is we exercise when learning the pulse points. Sometimes I may turn on a familiar song and we make a dance out of. They really enjoy it and it also helps them to learn. When it comes time for them to test, I can look across the room and see their heads bobbing to the beat of the song and I just smile.

paper or digital

Which type of test seems to be the most effective -- paper or digitally based and why?

Domain name

I attempted to access google apps for educators by following the link - they asked for a domain name or to pay for one. What experience have people had with this app. Also, this section didn't mention google voice. I use google voice as a contact number for my students to call or text me. It keeps my personal cell phone number secret but yet allows student to contact me easily. My students typically prefer to text.