Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

On-line exams

I like these for the reason that they are hassle-free for the instructor. I don't use them because they are hard to proctor, they become open internet browser tests. I am finding that I still prefer to hand out my printed tests and quizzes and collect and grade them myself although the "times they are a changin'" as Bob Dylan once said.

Online exams can help with the student who feels not comfortable in a class room environment. It also can if the school wishes to not have a time limit to allow someone to think longer on a question. It has positive and certain points to consider based on the situation and type of class

If you do online exams but have your students complete them during class time (assuming you're teaching in a computer lab), you can walk around the room to ensure that they don't have any other tabs or windows open other than the exam itself.

My students have to take their certification exam this way do I am all for it. This way they can get use to testing this way and it is automatically scored at the end.

I felt the same way but as you said it's hassle free, but I've seen in my own classes that most students won't try and cheat by using the browser. They will be too scared to be caught. Then there are the brave ones that cheat. But the way i see it, they are seeking out the answers!!! They may even remember what they just learned by doing so! :-)

David,

The room configuration and the instructors ability to maneuver through rows is key when administering online quizzes.

Theresa Schmitt

They are easier for an instructor and are usually harder for a student to cheat but since they are electronic they can potentially be hacked or stolen so security needs to be addressed.

Our school is starting e-books, however exams are to be written to prevent cheating. Former students will only have text books and lecture materials and newer students will have e-books.
Any comments about giving exams on e-books?

Sign In to comment