Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

When teaching specific software...

Rather than preparing a powerpoint that displays images and bullet points about a specific piece of software, it is more advisable to just use the software itself during class and have students watch as the instructor works through scenarios. Agree or disagree?

I think a combination of the two would be great as there are different types of learners. Some will benefit seeing the explanation on powerpoint while some will benefit from seeing a live demo.

I believe if you can use the software yourself during the presentation and then allow each student to use the software in the same manner immediately following you would have the greatest result.

I teach students how to use programs like Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. The classes are held in a computer lab, so each student has a PC to use during the lecture.

I project my computer's display on a screen and have each student open the same program that I am using. As I use the program to perform a task, I have them use their computers to do the same thing that I'm doing. They imitate what I'm doing, and by doing it themselves, it's easier to remember.

Once this guided learning process is completed, they create a new document and use the skills that we just practiced to finish an assigned project.

While they're working, I go from student to student to check on their progress and answer questions.

Edward,

I have taught a similar course, and found a room configured in a U shape in which I can see each screen helps greatly when monitoring progress and identifying student who may be struggling. Teaching beginner-level computing courses can be quite a challenge!

Theresa Schmitt

Sign In to comment