Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

The Pros and Cons of Utilizing Technology in the Classroom

I would like to discuss the pros ad cons of Technology Integration in the classroom. I have had positive and negative experiences utilizing technology in the classroom. What are your thoughts on this?

** Look for a beneficial instructional design tip below.**

Some of the Pros of tehcnology that I enjoy involve the fact that I teach college Computer courses in a PC Lab, so my students have immediate "at hand" access to the technology. Of course, this also presents some Cons at the same time.

Pros:
1. Many students today prefer to take quizzes and exams on a computer rather than on paper.
2. Having internet access enables students to search beyond the textbook and class resources to find their own answers in their own way.
3. Being able to demonstrate something on the computer and then have students follow the same steps on their own immediately after the demo. In other words, I don't have to demo and then tell students to schedule some time in the lab, library, or at home to practice the skills. I am also right there to clarify and assist as needed.

Cons:
1. Some students today prefer to take exams on paper and not computer screens. For these students, and when the technology does not function (network down?), I found it useful to offer students "Paper Or Plastic" and give them the choice between screen or exam handout.
2. Having ready-access to the internet also enables students to play Candy Crush, check emaila and Facebook, or read Pinterest instead of pay attention in class. I have found it handy to require a large portion of lab work to be done in class (lab time should be built into classtime). Thus with an on-ground deadline, students are not quite so tempted to say "I'll do this tonight at home"... this prevents them from trying to turn an on-ground class into an "online class at their convenience." This also prevents the excuses like, "My internet was down so I couldn't do it."

NOTE: This also raises the idea that students should be very clear on expectations of using personal vs. college resources to complete coursework, and how personal devices (while convenient) are no excuse to not complete work when there are plenty of techno-resources at the college. They must carve out the TIME is all.\

3. Being able to demonstrate using technology does not relieve an instructor from the responsibility to have a "contingency plan" ready to go in their back pocket... you know, for those times when the network or computers go down. Relying on a solid internet connection is usually alright, but we must allow for those stressful times when data communicaations are intermittent or nonexistent. This frustrates me as much as my students.

For instance, when showing YouTube videos in class... This is becoming a common practice, but requires a reliable internet connection to effectively play the video stream. If network communications hiccup or go completely down, now what can you do?

HERE'S A TIP:
a. Go to YouTube and find the video you want to share with your class.
b. In the address bar of your browser, you will see a URL that looks like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNeHa_cVuVk
c. Click within the URL and add "ss" to it like this:
https://www.ssyoutube.com/watch?v=FNeHa_cVuVk, then enter that site.
(If you receive a web certificate error, just click to proceed. It's safe.)
d. From that site you can download the video (or just the audio) to your hard disk or flash drive. You will then always have it handy to show students, even if the internet or YouTube is not functioning well.

I really like the idea of integrating computers into the classroom that I instruct. However, I think this could be done without internet access, so there aren't those "distractions". Instructional programs or just videos that are permanent software in the system that pertain to the lesson at hand would be great.

I instruct a wide range of ages and the older students are often quite fearful of the computer. I think once that barrier is gone through, all ages of my adult learners would probably enjoy it. Just something different than lecture and note taking. Sort of a bridge between that and the hands-on portion of the class.

The biggest con in my experience is creating an over reliance on technology and the internet. I've had many instances where I prepare videos and presentations, and when I arrive to class, either the internet is down, or the projector is not working, etc. As mentioned in another message, a contingency plan is absolutely important, even though it is highly frustrating when technology fails us.

Luis,

True! This is when we perform our best soft shoe and pull our bag of tricks out to compensate for the missed lecture material originally planned for that class period. I am sure we have all experienced burned out projector bulbs, a downed internet, and a stubborn log-in that just will not work. I believe a responsive IT department is essential for today's teaching environment.

Wishing you continued success in the classroom.

Theresa Schmitt

There are so many pros! When used wisely technology can really enhance the quality of a class, engage the students, and capture their interest. The biggest issue is the risk of placing technology at the center while relegating traditional teaching techniques to the shadow. It is important to keep a balance and use technology as an enhancer not as a substitute to a high quality lesson.

JOANA,

I agree, technology is just the tool- we must design, support, and deliver the content.

Wishing you the best in the classroom.

Theresa Schmitt

I agree with all of your pros and cons. Having access to technologies and having them be able to use these as a learning tool is definitely very effective for learning. I also agree with the con of wondering minds on computers, as well as their smart phones.

I would add 2 additional cons:
1) Availability of technology for a variety of programs. I teach in a veterinary technology program, and can minimally find hand's on technology they could use. The one thing we have is computer software that is typically seen in veterinary clinics
2) Financial restraints. A lot of really nice hands-on apparatuses and computer software for our field is extremely expensive. The school would just turn down the request for these items.

Agreed. The pros outweigh the downtime we experience. Balance is key to ensure that students who have a more traditional learning style.

I like to use a mix of technology and traditional assignments. However, I agree that technology is not always reliable.
Because of technology issues on campus, a final Accounting Project was assigned with three options: Spreadsheet, by hand and downloaded software from home. I was surprised by how many students,(about 30%)wanted to do the assignment by hand. They said they preferred to erase their mistakes with a pencil.

Sherri,

That is very interesting, thank you for sharing, Sherri. I wonder if the students in this particular class had a bad experience with losing files or perhaps do not feel comfortable with formulas. When assigning a project that requires a spreadsheet I often share tutorials with the students and they often turn to that when they forget a particular formula.

Here is one I have found useful in the past: http://www.howtogeek.com/school/microsoft-excel-formulas-and-functions/lesson2/

Best,

Theresa Schmitt

Obviously, the pros are already outlined in this learning module. So, no need for me to go into that any further...

One of the major cons that I encounter are that a lot of my students are not able to access additional technology off campus. I try to give them as much class time to work on projects and research but I can't stop my lectures, altogether. They seem to fall behind as the ones who have access to technology thrive. It is difficult to expect the same results from those with very different circumstances.

Sign In to comment