Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Assessment Accommodations

This is very difficult issue in my class structure. With the grades being primarily based on written work (discussions and papers), a weak command of the English language greatly impacts a student's ability to convey logical arguments. While I try to take into consideration what the student may have intended to say, it is difficulty to know for sure what they were thinking.

I do try to identify which students may be ELL in the beginning so I can offer advice, recommend learning aids, and suggest library resourses that may aid them in formulating ideas.

More time is needed for ELLs to complete an assessment. Timed assessments are not appropriate for ELL learners. Also, it is important to preview any written or oral assessment to find out it there are any cultural items or vocabulary which may be unfamiliar to the English language learner.

In my school we are not allowed to make any accomadations, all our students are supposed to have a level of english language skills that enable them to comprehend the material.
However, I do try to re phrase information to increase understanding for all students.

All students in a given course, regardless of their background, are obviously ultimately responsible for coming to terms with the assigned course material. Nonetheless, ELL students, like other students who face unique challenges, should expect and receive certain accommodations from their instructors. In my courses, especially the writing courses I frequently teach, I encourage my ELL students to come to me with their concerns and I let them know that even though the course standards are the same for all students, I am happy to use email, instant messaging, and our live chats to address their particular concerns.

Mark A. Coppelli

I agree with giving more time to complete assignmnets or an exam. I've had several students that have to translate in spanish first then back into english to understand which makes it difficult to stay with a time frame.

That's a good point and not only for ELL some students that have poor grammatical skills its difficult to try and interpret what they were meaning to say.

What learning aids and library resourses do you use?

We aren't supposed to make special accommodations either. However, if a students asks what a certain word means, I will try to rephrase for the entire class so that they better understand the questions. Giving the rephrase for the entire class makes it more fair.

I allow my students to use smart phones, ipads and dictionary's in order to look up English words they may not understand.

Are the students allowd to use trsanslators in the classroom or clinical areas. I allowed my student more time to complete his homework because he first had the homework translated from English to Spanish so that he may understand it. When in the clinical area, he didn't have the time to translate the instructions he didn't understand.

I allow my students to use their Ipads, laptops, phones- the dictionary and thesaurus apps. We play games, we work in groups, we do team building exercises to promote a comfortable classroom. Lisa

My main accommodation for ELL students is to give students extra time to complete the assignments.

I teach a very hands-on curriculum so I don't have the same probelms as many other instructors; however, my students must interact with clients and be able to document their work in a legally binding client chart. I allow dictionaries (paper and electronic) but I monitor the use so they cannot use it as an advantage over other students, for examlpe on defintion answers or matching questions. I am always willing and available to give a short oral explanation of a word if needed.

What assessment accommodations do you use in your classroom for your ELL students?

We are not allowed to give special accommodations at my school either. However, I employ this same technique for ELL students in my grammar classes. They do not take timed assessments for the simple fact that it usually takes them a substantially longer time to complete exams than native speakers. I don't feel like 12 weeks is enough time to thoroughly cover everything on the syllabus for native English speakers, much less non-native speakers. I greatly encourage all my students to take advantage of my availability so that they can have extra explanation of the lesson for that week outside of class, as well as extra practice worksheets to prepare them for upcoming quizzes or exams.

Jessica,
I salute you for your efforts! You are really in the top 2% for your efforts to go beyond the syllabus and reach your students. You are teaching with your knowledge and your heart.

Arlene Muller

Although my school requires a certain level of English, we understand that we have a strong Spanish population. For the most part they can keep up with the materials, but we occasionally offer an interpreter to assist them.

Sarah,
I think the opportunity to have an interpreter is excellent even if it is occasionally. You can also think "out of the box" and have advanced students come back as a guest speaker and show your students how much they have learned. This could offer 'realistic motivation" to keep the students focused.

Arlene Muller

I also allow my students to use smart phones, ipads, and computers to look up English words they do not understand. I encourage them to translate words they do not know. Our school also allows extra time to complete the assignments.

Cindy,

Yes, I have been thinking that as educators we need to bring the technology (that our students are using) into the classroom. I think you have created the perfect exercise. My only word is Outstanding!

Arlene Muller

Sign In to comment