Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Learning Environment

Describe the learning environment you create for your ELL students. How does that contribute to their learning?

I always try to create a safe and comfortable environment which allows students to have the opportunity to learn new vocabulary and come back to review difficult topics.

Diego,

Excellent! You have expressed the true foundation for the learning situation. Children need to feel safe before they can comprehend and more importantly retain what they are being taught.

Well, I came from a different country and when I teach my class ELL students fill comfortable around class.

Bruno,

Bruno, your experience is very valuable when you are teaching others in your classroom. Every student needs to feel comfortable and safe for them to learn. They need to know it is OK to make a mistake. It seems your are creating those conditions in your classroom. I congratulate you on your efforts. Always, Arlene

Arlene Muller

I also come from a different culture. I have really found a way to have to stick to American culture but unfortunately not in all ways. I am still fighting my battles of my own culture, honestly trying to stop them and become a real American. As an example, it is a Venezuelan culture that is okay to be late 5- 10 minutes to your meetings. I do not understand why and it bothers me we are in that way. But I also understand it is an absolutely disrespectful behavior in the USA to do so. Indeed, as a Latin person you really have to fight back your own culture to be late and find a way to be on time to your meetings so that you show respectful behavior in front of Americans. We are the ones who immigrate, and we must learn American ways. You cannot be an instructor or students with that problem; you will not succeed in short words.
I am exposing my feeling about this topic so that Americans also can see the other side of the coin and give Latin students a window for them to understand it is not nice or polite to show disrespectful behavior in that way. Also, Americans must know this is fine for that culture to doing so in their countries and they most likely are having really problems to find the way to fight against their cultures.

I have also been a student in the US. Because I have been there, I think that the best way to make all my students comfortable is let them to arrange their groups themselves, let them to sit next to the person that would make them to be themselves without the imminent threat you are going to be criticized that you are too load or to communicative, or you ask too many questions. So, when I am going to do group activities, I mix several cultures so that they get to know a little bit from each other. In that way, they might understand other's behaviors. Still, If I feel like it depresses them, or make them to feel uncomfortable, I let them one more time be arranged and make the groups themselves.

Jennie,
I thought your observation was wonderful and so current to our USA culture. You can see the blending of the cultures and they are confusing if they are not defined. I think you bring up a good point, when different cultures are part of a group that there needs to some definitions for procedures. Your idea of mixing the cultures helps the students to understand each other. May I also recommend that you allow the students to create the guidelines for the group attendance, participation and member responsibilities. This way they can define these areas based on their culture. The groups could expand their current group activity.

Arlene Muller

I mix certain cultures, and also become familiar with career pathways students have pursued prior to enrolling in our program. The insight from peers allows all students to be successful when completing an assignment or project.

Virginia,
Excellent effort on your part to take the time to find out the career paths concerning your students. When students have an opportunity to exchange ideas and support each other, their commitment is stronger since they have now made a verbal commitment to their peers.

Arlene Muller

Since I come from another culture, I do share my experiences from college days. Those students who are from other countries appreciate the differences and feel comfortable opening up and share their experiences with the class. At the same time, these discussions help other students become familiar with other cultures, hence facilitate learning.

Mahnaz,

Wonderful that you are willing to share your college experience and differences to reveal the culture differences. Your openness helps your students better adjust to their learning environment. They will be able to transfer your experiences to their "cultural knowledge bank".

Arlene Muller

As I mentioned in your individual reply, I felt you were very open and passionate about sharing your cultural experiences with your students. This allows you to create a "safe space' for your students to learn. Your students have the added advantage of knowing you have walked in their footsteps. Do you find that they ask more questions, because you have shared your experiences?

Arlene Muller
Facilitator

My classes often contain several students from various countries. These students have varying language skills. I have found that I can use the social groups to create effective learning teams. In one case, my class contained 4 students from Angola and I noticed that they worked together very closely and interpreted for each other. My typical class structure includes team assignments. So, I made sure to create two, two person teams with the students from Angola and leveraged the availability and knowledge of the students successfully. Working in small groups seems to help students with weaker language skills. It is also something that I have noticed most of my adult learners appreciate. So, I try to incorporate a lot of team learning activities. I also try to keep the assignments and vocabulary used in the classroom very simple and direct. This helps to improve the level of understanding.

LE,

Sounds like you have found a system that works. Yes, small groups and especially two person teams allows the student to feel comfortable in a safe learning environment. This style of learning works well with adults because they learn when they feel safe and comfortable to make mistakes. I applaud your efforts to keep assignments simple and direct. All students have the ability to learn under the right circumstances.

Arlene Muller

I encourage them to find their own voice regarding a particular subject and give them positive feedback. I teach English Composition and Oral Communication, which are often scary subjects even to native speakers. ESL students, often in the minority in my classes, can easily fall through the cracks within the classroom setting through a combination of their sense of not being good enough and a variety of cultural attitudes, particularly regarding teachers being figureheads not to be questioned.

To alleviate their anxieties and bring them into any discussion, I like to elicit their ideas in order to make them feel comfortable asking questions and coming to their own conclusions about whatever topic we’re discussing. If they’re writing in their journals, I might encourage them to initially freewrite about a topic in their native language from a cultural, as well as intellectual, perspective. This lends value to their individual voice and often generates some good small group and class discussion later. The result is that the course objectives are often met because students have more confidence when they see that the class isn’t exclusively mine but theirs as well.

Thomas,

Excellent, I love your idea in having the classroom belong to your students and not just your arena. You are then making the learning environment more comfortable and allowing them to find their voice. I also believe in the exercise of writing in journals. May I also suggest that you create a verbal assignment that is equal to a journal assignment. Have students write topics (check topics) and place in a jar. Then have students speak on the topics for 10 to 15 seconds. Start the exercise from their seats then move to a standing position. The time is also increased until they can speak for 60 seconds.

Arlene Muller

Thanks for a great idea to incorporate into the "one-minute topic" that I usually use for impromptu speeches. I like the idea of having them write the topics.

Thomas,

Yes, you will find that learning moves to a higher level when you can increase the student's participation.

Arlene Muller

The enviroment is always warm and with open communication. Students should always know we have a passion for what we are doing nd have time to hear what they have to say. I always do a recap on a daily basic to insure they are on the same page as me and they understand what i have talked about. Sometimes we assume they understand because we have been over this time and time again. We have to remember this is all new to them,like babies.

Sandra,
Yes, you are on the right track. Learning is repetition until the student understands the concept. One idea is to have the students answer two questions at the end of class, What did you learn today? What is still confusing? You can use a 3x5 cards or just a half sheet of paper. You then make time the next day to go over the confusing items and concepts.

Arlene Muller

Sign In to comment