Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder

Several terms ago I had a student who was very argumentative, defiant, and often lost his temper outside the classroom. He had been in the Marine Corp and had two tours of duty in Iraq. I thought he may be suffering from Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder. However, after reading and studying the material in the course. I now look at the Oppositional Defiant Disorder as a possibly. Are the two related or can PTSD cause ODD?

Fred,
A general rule of thumb when dealing with such students and such issues is to ignore the diagnosis and just deal with the behavior. It doesn't really matter whether the student has PTSD or ODD... it matters whether his behavior is impacting either on his performance or the flow of the rest of the class for others. If it is, there should be someone there at the institution who has knowledge of such issues and who can help you figure out some appropriate classroom management techniques. You don't have to do this all by yourself.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

I did what you said and handled the problems when they were presented. When you update the course, I think adding PTSD would be good.

Fred,
That's a great suggestion, thanks!

Dr. Jane Jarrow

I agree with Fred. I see a number of students in my classroom, both veterans and non-veterans alike, who have a diagnosis of PTSD.

Camille,
Have you had similar experience with these students? Have you found their personal situations to spill over into the classroom?

Dr. Jane Jarrow

I, too, have had several students whose emotional outbursts and reactions appear to be PTSD. One was a woman who told me in confidence that she was in an abusive relationship. Am I correct in simply empathizing while reminding them of the bar that has been set for the course including professionalism? What else could we say?

KATHERINE,
I am not sure exactly what you are asking, Katherine, but I AM sure that disability may *explain* unusual behavior, but it does not excuse it. The student is still responsible for meeting standards of professional ethics and conduct. There may be appropriate accommodations that can facilitate that, but we never say, "you don't have to bother because..."

Dr. Jane Jarrow

I deal with alot of vets who have just returned from overseas.Some have brain injury from combat,which sometimes require patience.When they show me there paperwork i work with them.Show them i care,and give them respect.It means alot to them.I follow up with them to make sure they understand the subject.

Timothy,
There is a wonderful posting called "Disability Beatitudes" at http://www.specialfriendsonline.com/content/?/Information/Poems_Quotes/Disability_Beatitudes. One of my favorite quotes from this passage is, "Blessed are you who stand beside us as we enter new ventures, for our failures will be outweighed by times we surprise ourselves and you." I think what you said (above) says it all!

Dr. Jane Jarrow

As a veteran and having friends(20+)that have been diagnosed and treated for PTSD, only one has been diagnosed with ODD, and knowing him personally prior to a combat role...he was ODD before enlisting.

Philip ,
What management techniques can you offer to others that might help a student with PTSD or ODD to both adjust to, and be productive in, and educational setting?

Dr. Jane Jarrow

That definately makes sense Dr. Jane. As a Career Advisor I have students coping with PTSD and have given them the support they need in order for them to succeed; patience, collaborating with them on how to accomplish tasks to get them to where they need to be. I try to focus on what they can accomplish even if it means breaking down tasks in smaller steps and partnering with them each step of the way.

Annette,
You've just stated the key -- collaboration. The student will ALWAYS be the best source of information on both how you can help and how comfortable they are in accepting that help. Part of what should go with accommodation is dignity.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

Sign In to comment