Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Internet Videos

AS an instructor in Allied Health I have found that using videos found on the internet to demonstrate procedures can be very effective.

Connie,
there are many great tools out there if we can find them & make sure of their value.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I have thought of this as well but fear for copyright infringments. I often assign "homework" for my students to go and view a video at home that pertains to our studies. Most come in after 1st break having viewed on their cell phones during their break time and it makes a great discussion line to start after a break in class.

At my institution we are transitioning to a blended format and as a result I too am looking to the Internet for resources. I teach medical office administration, and one source that is amazing is KhanAcademy. There are 5-15 minute electronic chalkboard lectures on a variety of topics ranging from health, anatomy, and the medical insurance business. It is a great reinforcement tool. There are also lots of lessons for math, chemistry, physics, and economics.

Internet Videos is a great tool in the classroom if it is pertain to the subject.

Ruth,
yes, the internet provides many great videos & your point is well made that they need to pertain to the subject at hand.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I find the videos most helpful as an introduction to a new technique. I don't use them as fillers. I use them as the start of the conversation in the classroom.

Brian,
this is a great point to make regarding videos or activities of any kind. Use them to start the point or highlight, not just to fill space.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Sign In to comment