Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

New Student with Dyslexia

At the start of the current term in a computer class, I had a student tell me she was Dyslexia. I asked her, “If she could follow simple directions in a textbook,” she answered probably.” I told her, ‘If she had any problems to ask me for help.” We are into the second week of the term. She has asked me questions. I have guided her through the steps where needed. She has turned in work and she seems to be doing OK. I have given her some leeway on her grades. When I lecture, she seems to follow OK.

Does anyone have any input that can help me?

Fred,
She isn't "dylexia" -- she is "dyslexic," meaning she has dyslexia. I can see where difficulties in discerning letters, numbers and symbols, or in reversing the order of those letters, numbers and symbols, could have great impact in a computer class. But it sounds as though you have given her leave to ask questions as she needs to, and that she is finding you open and available. The rest is up to her. If she needs more help, it is up to her to both approach you for that help and explain to you what problems she is having. Then you can work out, together, how best to assist. Good luck!

Dr. Jane Jarrow

I do ask her about once a day if she needs help.

Fred,
I am sure she appreciates that!

Dr. Jane Jarrow

Sign In to comment