Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Institutions may only release information to a public figure if the request is for someone who is deceased. Even though FERPA rights can still continue after a student is no longer enrolled, it does end upon the student's death.

FERPA can impact students if faculty make the choice to be non-compliant. Importance to keep in the lane of being a faculty member.

One of the  best things we can do to ensure that our students, past, present, and future, have the proper channels to access their information as well as have protected. Past student information has bit more leniency in some cases due to the nature of the situation. By keeping best practice policies in tact we can adequately ensure that we are providing and protecting the correct information. 

Sometimes it happens where students are also employees at the institution. There are policies that protect students from accessing their own record. They need to use the resources all other students utilize to view grades and such.  

The importance of protecting personal information of students. To implement this, any student information should not be left out where it can be viewed or accessed by other individuals. 

I learnt practical approaches of FERPA in action - when FERPA starts to hold and when it no longer holds.

I never considered what happened to records of the deceased prior to this module.  I found that helpful

I have learned that protocols pertaining to student privacy and rights have to be maintained at all times.

Regular training for faculty and staff as well as detailed training for new employees is a must. 

There are many aspects of student records to consider. It is important to have this sort of training to understand how to handle the requests that are made for student records by lots of different entities everyday. 

I have learned about students rights to access their own educational information following ferpa guidelines, including scenarios where there may be a hold on a students account, and how to handle the situation while protecting both the student and institution.  

It's important that the expectations for student privacy and policies of protection of privacy are clear from the very beginning of employment to avoid any incidences where private information is left unattended.

I think it is interesting how FERPA's rules regards a student's right to their academic records mirrors a patient's right to their medical information.

You would be surprised faculty members who believe because they are faculty they should have access to any information they want regarding a student when this is not the case. Majority of the time it is never to be malicious. They trying to investigate to overcome any obstacles the students might be having in the classroom, but such actions could also be violating the students privacy. It’s a fine line between assisting the students with overcoming obstacles versus violating their privacy.

I appreciate knowing that an institution has 45 days to respond for requests for student records.  It's nice to know we don't have to feel rushed to provide them the day they are requested. 

FERPA rules do not apply to students/graduates when they die.

A person's educational record is protected under FERPA until they die. Even after they die, there are only select people who can request access to the file.

Institutions should employ best practices from other industries when it comes to protecting sensitive information. 

It is important to train employees on the proper way to maintain the security, confidentiality, and integrity of student information to support the code of conduct. 

Appeal committees are typically made up of administrative and academic representation

Sign In to comment