Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Records are obtainable under FERPA if a former student is deceased. 

FERPA training is essential

I found it helpful to know that students can add a statement when they disagree with something in the official record. 

Students can dispute somthing on their record eventhough it may not be changed but a notation will be added to thier record with their comments.

Every institution needs a good policy that covers records that takes into account FERPA, as well as State or other regulatory rules.  Everyone at the school needs training on it, as well, but the policy should be user-friendly enough so that it can be referrenced quickly and easily.  There's a lot going on with FERPA, and those who work directly with records will remember it all pretty easily, but those who don't (teachers, student services) will need help understanding how they can remain compliant. 

I have learned the importance of knowing how to give students access to their academic information and in a timely manner (within 45 days).  

In regard to student access to records I was updated on restricted information that requires redaction such as parental financial information, privacy rights of other parties that may be included in a record, a students’ right to contest information in their record, their right to a hearing, and their right to appeal and include documentation of a challenge in their record.  I learned that FERPA is not applicable to students that have applied but are not yet attending classes.  I learned FERPA protocols for former students, deceased students, and alumni.  Additionally, I was reminded that faced with a student who owes a balance our institution can allow review but can also retain transcripts until outstanding the balance is resolved.  These are nuances that require intentional reflection and checks and balances on the part of college representatives when considering release of student records. 

Training new employees is a must, regarding FERPA.  No records should be accessed unless there is a need to do so to do your job.  FERPA does not cover disposing of records, but shredding is best. 

I've learned additional insight about FERPA and how is supports the students and the institution.  Reviewing the example about a student contesting their attendance record was a great demonstration on how FERPA can be utilized to help both parties.

I especially appreciated the best practices section here. There are definitely some suggestions there that we can and should implement regarding internet security, hiring practices, training staff for security consciousness. Also, it made me think about who has access to what files and why they do--also how much access they should have --say on Google Drive--the choices are viewer, commenter and editor. All who have access do not need to be more than viewer.

Re the other topics, I have a question and am wondering how long a student's educational records need to be kept and which records need to be retained.

In this section on FERPA it was interesting to learn about the rights of students after they graduate (as Alumni), if they are students and employees of the same institution and the rights of the students if they die (next of kin FERPA rights).  The student who is an employee of the institution cannot look up their own information, they must also go through FERPA to request records.  This information was very detailed and good information. 

It is so vital that we are familiar with FERPA and the many guidelines.  FERPA is more than at system to protect students' privacy, it also is important to protect their rights to access their records.  Noted!

Following all the recommendations of Ferpa, as an institution we can give the best of our services

It is important to make sure that the staff that you hire are not only shown how to practice correct sercurity protocols, but are encouraged to do so.

Ferpa covers students even after graduation.  Students that are employed should not have access to there grades, they should go through  the proper channel for access.    

I learned that a student can dispute a grade and add their statement of disagreement so although the grade stands, the student's comment will be included when the grade is released.

FERPA has many aspects that protects former students, alumni and deceased students. New hire and continuous employee training is neccessary to ensure students are protected. Additionally, a student who is employed by an educational institute does not have full access to their own student records. 

privacy is key

There are many rules and regulatons to FERPA. A new employee should be oriented to these new rules when first employed. A complete background check background check should be done prior to hiring the individual.

Aleays know FERPA policy prior to disclosing information 

Sign In to comment