FERPA in Action | Origin: CM141
This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:
FERPA and Privacy: A Practical Approach --> FERPA in Action
Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.
I've Learned there should be a process for a student to contest, hearing process should be outlined
FERPA is for students enrolled and in attendance, does not apply during application process
Former students do not have the same ferpa rights to non-disclosure of directory info
Alumni - FERPA does not apply
What I learned from this module is that FERPA protects student privacy and ensures that educational records are handled responsibly and shared only with authorized individuals. I also learned the importance of safeguarding student information in everyday situations and understanding when consent is required. I intend to apply this knowledge by being more mindful of how student information is accessed, discussed, and shared to help maintain compliance and protect student privacy.
One of the "Knowledge Bytes" questions had an interesting scenario about what if an employee is also a student at the same school and ensuring there are practices in-place to make sure they cannot access their own record. Something that probably does happen from time to time but I and I assume most folks don't think of.
It is now clear to me that complying with FERPA requires one to strike a balance between privacy rights of students and legal/safety considerations. Access must be limited to those individuals who have a genuine need for the information for educational purposes, and strict security measures must be put in place to protect the privacy of student information.
I know this was section of the course was indeed a refresher; I treat students' information as if it were my own. I wouldn't want no one reviewing my information without my consent. I believe it says a lot about the care and consideration we take when it comes our students and their information.
FERPA protects student records as to who can access them and an employee who is a student cannot access their own records. They must go through the proper channels to review their own records
It will be interesting to see if there is an increase in FERPA violations due to the closure of schools across the United States, and whether the proper requirements are fulfilled by people newly entrusted with that data.
From this module, I learned how to apply FERPA principles in real-world situations and make informed decisions when handling student information. I gained a better understanding of student privacy rights, disclosure exceptions, directory information, legitimate educational interest, and the importance of safeguarding educational records.
Information security is a big deal. When in doubt, find out or err on the side of caution. Keep up on policies and procedures as required.
FERPA has specific guidelines for what can or cannot be shared. Their Information is kept protected.
FERPA is there to protect students and keep there records private and they have a right to keep there records private
I learned that FERPA has specific rules about when student information can and cannot be shared.
Remember there are also instances where state laws may differ from FERPA guidelines.
Following FERPA requirements during hiring helps protect student privacy, ensures legal compliance, and promotes fair employment practices.
Good to know best practices - for example for an employee who is also a student at an institution. What privilege he/she has as an employee accessing his or her own records. Training is important to anyone to better equip on handling challenging situations.
FERPA protects student records by limiting who can access or release them
Considero que esto es muy importante porque protege los derechos del estudiante y ayuda a que los registros académicos se manejen de manera justa, transparente y responsable. Los expedientes no solo deben conservarse adecuadamente, sino que también deben reflejar información precisa y ser tratados con confidencialida
From this module, I learned that students have the right to challenge inaccurate records under FERPA and add a statement to their file if a dispute is not resolved. I also learned the importance of having fair processes to protect student rights and privacy.
I will apply this knowledge by being more careful when handling records and understanding the importance of accuracy, confidentiality, and professionalism in both school and workplace settings.
FERPA is meant to protect a student's records. What information may be released is regulated.