Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

FERPA is definitely a complex issue to handle for anyone with so many elements of laws (both implied and written). We all have to use our best judgment when dealing with FERPA and take action based on the laws and without taking any pressure from anyone. Institutions must train every employye on a regular basis (periodically) on FERPA either first time and onging for new employees and periodic training for current employees just to make sure that they are in full compliant with the FERPA laws.

Reply to Karen Greene's post: Yes I totally agree with you here Karen, plus institutions really don't have choices but to comply with FERPA laws if they want to avoid any potential liabilities and possible penalties.

I learned that FERPA coverage ends when a student/former student passes away. I f an alumni no longer attends the institution, then their information may be released with proper permission. There are also certain guidelines for when there may be possible conflicts of interest.

It is interesting to read that employees that also are students at an instution, should not access their educaitonal record while at work as an employee. In the healthcare industry, this is the same policy, as nurses shouldn't be looking up their lab/diagnostic results online while at work. 

I learned that FERPA has to more than protecting the privacy of the student's information. Employees should received extensive training before hiring.

Understanding FERPA guidelines is a challenge. Training is necessary to prevent violations and broken relationships from a lack of trust.

FERPA makes records for students obtainable, but with that comes guidelines you have to follow with it. I think its really nice to see that student privacy is protected, in most circumstances.  

I was suprised to learn we should restrict access to employee's who are also students to their own student records. 

Students should know more about what kinds of notes they canmake to their record that would benfit them in their academic career. 

I learned that students have rights to request a record amendent. I also learned FERPA does not apply to applicants during the application process.

FERPA does not apply to students upon graduation and therefore, the institution would be allowed to release the resume to prospective employers without the FERPA documentation requirements. However, an institution may choose to document such sharing to demonstrate efforts to support graduates with career assistance.

This module enlightened me on the rights of students and provided an interesting fact that FERPA Student rights don't extend post-mortem. 

I didn't know FERPA covered so many topics

FERPA is all about protecting students at an institution. It makes records accessible to students, but there is a formal path to follow. This keeps records safe and ensures the safety of students. 

The different security protocols for releasing student information.

I feel familiar with what I as an employee can view or not in student records as well as if I was a student.   This section was a nice refresher.

Not sure Ill ever be in a position to apply Ferpa, but it was nice to learn.

Many practical considerations warrant attention, such as potential conflict between state law and FERPA. 

Besides acessing and protecting their records if they believe it to be unjust, with consideration relating to FERPA, students can have the right to challenge a grade. 

An interesting dive into the details of FERPA.

Sign In to comment