Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

FERPA requires faculty training to best protect student's privacy and education rights/records

It is important to know students' rights related to educational records and rules regarding accessing student records as an instructor.

FERPA is about the student's rights and ultimately protecting both the student and their private information, along with protecting the institution by keeping records secure.

Comment on Joyce Hladky's post

Totally agree!

It is interesting that FERPA rights end at death.

Because FERPA has so many dimensions, I think it's crucial to provide employee training and monitoring.  I think that a key component of adhering to and appropriately applying FERPA is offering comprehensive training to recently hired staff members and regularly updating training sessions.

FERPA allows educational institutions to define certain information as "Directory Information," which can be disclosed without the student's consent. However, students have the right to opt-out or restrict the disclosure of their Directory Information.

Once deceased, a student's records are not subject to FERPA.

A student can include a statement in their academic record if it differs from what the institution has decided. This has to show up in all transcripts.

Once you've graduated FERPA no longer applies especially when considering resumes to said school. 

I am so appreciative to have this opportunity to learn more about this subject and how it affects both me and my students.

This information was helpful! This content increased my knowledge regarding FERPA and how it not only relates to students, but to employees that are students as well. 

Comment on Joyce Hladky's post

I also agree that there is many facets to FERPA training. The information is detailed and would require ongoing educational updates to stay abreast of it. 

It is important for everyone to have training and to follow up with someone if they are unsure of a process. 

It was very important to learn what and how FERPA protects the release of information for alumni, deceased and students of different academic status.

c c
c c

keeping records confidential is very important for integrity. written consents should be made well understood at enrollment to the school.

I appreciate FERPA and the degree of protection of student's educational records as it compares to HIPPA and patient's medical records. 

It was interesting to read more about best practices! The question about a former president sparked my thinking. Strange how a student death can lead to inactive FERPA rights.

This module showed me how FERPA is important to students' access to their own records. This has allowed me to become familiar with their rights in that regard, which is vital to students maintaining their autonomy and privacy.

From this module, I have learned the importance of knowing that although students have the right to access their academic information under FERPA, they must follow the appropriate process and procedures.

Sign In to comment