Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

During this section it was made clear all of the various rules and regulations meant to protect students personal information regarding FERPA. It also made it clear the importance of not only training new employees in FERPA but also reviewing the laws periodically with more tenured employees in order to maintain proper standard of privacy, consistently. 

FERPA has guidlines for student records while they are an active students at the school and after graduation. The students have the right to access thier records and review them for accuracy. They can add notes or comments if they do not agree with what is in the record. 

it was interesting to learn about how FERPA changes upon leaving (ie: graduation) the institution

I take into the consideration that some states have laws designed to provide the public open access and transparency to certain governmental records. In circumstances where a student’s educational record includes information contained in a record deemed as “public.” There can be a conflict between an institution’s FERPA policy and the state’s mandate to make such information available.

I learned the extent to which FERPA is applicable. For instance, alumni do not always have the same protections under FERPA as they did when they were actively enrolled. This is also the case for those who are deceased as mentioned when the lesson poses the question of releasing information of a former president. Students also have important information that they have to understand regarding adding statements to something they believe is false.  

FERPA provides privacy and record access rights to students. These rights and protection stop after the student dies.

After a student is deceased, PERPA rules do not apply, and anyone can access that student's record.

As I was reading this section, I couldn't help but think about HIPPA. Very similar concepts.

FERPA training is very important for all employees.  Protecting student and institution privacy needs to be taken seriously and monitored all the time.

Employee should  be trained on proper handling of student record and what is approved for either viewing or copies.  This should be annually with changes that could occur

There are steps that are needed for anyone wanting to access information that they normally would not need to access.  These steps are there to insure individuals privacy.  FERPA is there to govern the proper way to access such information. 

I learned that there are differences in compliance that are nuanced by the words "must" or "may".

The records obtained while the student is enrolled remain protected for the individual's life and are only released upon proper request for future endeavors. 

Comment on Judy Whitehill's post: Agreed!  Periodic refreshers as well.

Educational records should be protected with locked rooms and locked files, password and virus protection for digital files, and employees only permitted access to information in their  particular area, such as financial aid. New employees should be trained and expected to abide by high ethical standards.

FERPA has so many angles to define that there needs to be defined policies to ensure rules are not inadvertently crossed.  Empolyee education and training is necessary for to comply.

Comment on Elizabeth Scott's post

Elizabeth FERPA rights are detailed in Family Education Rights and Privacy Ace. I think it is great that we have training on this because the laws change each year.

I our society things change often. 

I honestly did not know that once a student graduates that FERPA does not apply anymore to their academic records.

Students who also double as employees should not be allowed to use their employee privileges to access their records except their day to day activities as employees allows them access to such records

FERPA covers students not alumni

Comment on Daniel Falk's post:

Since FERPA contains so many different components, it is crucial that everyone who works with students understands exactly what information may and cannot be disclosed.

Sign In to comment