Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

If a school is sold or goes through any change of ownership transition, the new ownership still has an obligation to provide historical records to students who attended under prior ownership. 

Hello all, 

Under FERPA, students have the right to challenge a record that they think is not accurate.  I also learned that certain information is restricted and should not be disclosed to the student, which may require redaction to protect the confidentiality and privacy of other parties referenced in the document(s).  I learned from this module that FERPA allows an institution 45 days to comply with a student’s request to review their records. This provides sufficient time if it is necessary to pull together educational records from different sources, redact information about other students, or research specific records questions requested by the student.

I have a dedicated cell phone for my students and it is protected with VPN and a password just in case I leave it somewhere. I also have the option to erase and reset the phone back to the factory settings. The same is on my laptop that I use for online teaching. I take security very seriously. I remember when I was a student and worried about people discovery my information.

Good to see that informaion is not all available to anyone who asks for it

As a graduate of the school where I now am an adjunct, I learned really interesting details that my records are also protected under FERPA. I've also learned a lot of about privacy laws and expectations in educational institutions, which as a public lirbarian is very interesting! 

I learned what / when student's  records are not protected under FERPA.

follow all rules

I had FERPA training in the class setting years ago. This module is much detailed and thorough. 

Students should alaway be monitored if they have employee privileges.

this is great compliance case sensitive information

In this lesson, I learned that "records received or created after a student is no longer in attendance and that are not directly related to such attendance as a student are not protected under FERPA." This was particularly insightful because I was not sure how academic records for former students are dealt with.

This session helped me to understand how educational insitutions engage with Immigration officials when it comes to student records.

Students have a right to view their information and to have their information explained to them. 

I discovered from this module how a situation is handled if a student wishes to view their record but has an academic hold.

FERPA Compliance is a critical aspect of School Administration. Colleges should provide adequate and intermittent training to keep employees focused on acceptable FERPA practices as violations could lead to serious consequences.

Protecting patient information is crucial.

FERPA is about privacy.

Careful consideration of all actions in regard to student information

To protrect stundents' information and comply with FERPA, we need a policy and adopt best information security practices of financial sector.

I thought the difference between policy and practice was interesting  - especially where public and university security are a concern.  Under these circumstances - time permitting I can see that these types of decisions would require leadership guidance.  

Sign In to comment