Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

FERPA makes educationalrecords available even if the student has not paid their tuition.

great information.

This module enlightened me on the rights of students.

In this lesson, I learned that "records received or created after a student is no longer in attendance and that are not directly related to such attendance as a student are not protected under FERPA."

There should always be measures in place and reviewed monthly to make sure we are staying in compliance with FERPA.  We should have a refresher yearly on this training.

The policies around security are fairly standard.  I work at a healthcare insurance company and there is a lot of focus on protection of personal identifiable information - just like at an educational institution.  I was surprised that a student who is also an employee essentially gives up their rights to the FERPA access as it appears being an employee overrules -if I understood it.

Employees should not use thier previlage to view thier own records example if they were students, instead they should go through the proper channels.

I am going to go back and review our current policies at our institution and see if we are in full compliance.  I am also going to review my own role in the process

Students have rights to their records and protection of privacy. 

It is interesting that certain individuals have more protections than others. The FERPA guidelines state that an alumni is no longer protected by FERPA, yet if a student wants access to a president's information, they must receive consent first. This just shows you that laws are subjective, and it is always important to lean towards the side of caution espcially when it comes to privacy rights of individuals. 

I found it interesting that FERPA has time limits.  That those who are no longer students at an institution are no longer guaranteed privacy of their records.  It is good to know that it is suggested that certain policies be established to contact former students depending on the records released, however.

This has been a very informational unit.

So many blurred lines sometimes, especially when it comes to employees who are taking classes at the same school, or who are alumni as well.  Its uber important to see through the blurred lines. 

Institutions have the right to protect the student's rights of educational records. 

I did not know that the policy changes if the student is deceased.

I was not aware of the information concerning your records after death.

FERPA defines what is public and restricted records, how they can be legally accessed and how to obtain them

I learned that FERPA rights do not continue after death and the records of deceased students may be released. Living past student require writting consent to release.  I also learned that employees that are also student do not automatticaly have access to their own records.  They must go through the FERPA process like other students.

Students may appeal a decision or record in their file.  If the appeal is lost, the school's record stands as is.  However, the student has the right to add a note/statement as to why they feel the record is inaccurate. The student's statment must be included each time the record is released.

I want to get locks for our file cabinets with student files.  Even though we keep our offices locked, every morning that I come in the doors are unlocked.

I learned FERPA not only protects the privacy rights of the student, but also ensures the student has access to their records in a timely manner. 

Sign In to comment