Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

All expectations must be established since the beginning of the course and reviewed as needed in order to maintain a productive and respectful learning environment.

I was interested in the qualities that are needed for a student to be successful/comfortable learning online.  

I will help all generations with providing resources to become successful online learners.  However, my communication is key with that success.

Instructors have a challenge in assisting students to become successful online learners.  First,  make sure students know what it takes to be successful online.  For students to be successful in an online course to be movtivated, time managers,and computer Knowledge.

This section highlighted the importance of getting to know my students in terms of generational identity. I'm linking this to my student survey and I can see that I need to pose different types of "get to know you" questions in order to meet everyone's needs and provide support. The essential factor is clear, effective and successful communication right from the beginning of the course; and how to provide the support throughout the course that meets all student's needs. I think I will explore how to include successful student qualities suggestions in my course overview.

I've learned that you will have all different types of students with different communication levels and skills. It's always better to be understanding of the issues that they may have and be open to how they will learn. For those students that have issues with self-motivation, the online component is not for them. I've noticed that some students who are F2F will struggle with this and fall off the radar.

When communicating with students it is essential to use a means of communication that is understandable based on their level of knowledge and ability to communicate.  The necessity to not attempt to communicate with everyone the same way is more evident in an online environment than in a face to face environment as it is much easier for the silent student to go unnoticed.

As instructors we must ensure the students have a clear and defined way of communicating any concerns or feedback to the instructor and each other. 

GW Setting guide lines and student engagement are both very important in the online learning process. It is important to make sure all students understand the guideline and it is also helpful if you one learner that is proficient with online technoplogy they may be able to another who is not. This also helps to build the learning community.

Different age groups may learn differently and my be challenged when it comes to certain technology

In this module I understood that as an online instructor you must be aware of the different generations that you will be serving.  Also, how to engage the generations in communication.  Another point that stood out to me was that we must identify possible challenges in communication.  This is something that I will use in my online class.  When you identify possible issues and then setting how you will handle it or consequences, the problems are easier to deal with.

I have learned that it is important to validate the needs of the individual generations that online students encompass. Taking their specific learning strnegths and challenges will provide an effective method of online instruction.

My goal is to promote and enhance on-line student participation by providing expectations and standards. Some enhancing methods introduced wiill be: (1) to encourage introductions, establish clear guidelines for participation, and provide timely feedback. 

Different ages approach change, cuture and tech very differently.  The agreed form of communication to make things least restricted and clear is better in the long run.

What i learned is that I have to work on my skills to assist in commication on line. 

Communication is very important. It is also a good idea to model examples of both good and bad communication. Students communicate in different ways, so you most be flexible in your communicating. 

Effective communication skills are a dynamic part of online learning.  I learned how and why different generations communicate in various ways so I will take that into account when engaging with them online.  Also, students come to class with various skills, from experienced to no or low tech skills, so I will have to meet those challenges as I recognize these disadvantages and aid the student(s) as soon as possible.

Expectations, guidelines, code of conduct, consequences must be communicated initially for effective communication in an online course. Immediate feedback is essential.

I have found that self motivation for students is super important in an online setting. It is very easy for a student to get distracted. Best practices can be to assign mini-due dates, give students roles to facilitate communication, etc.

I learned that all students in your class will be at different levels of technology skills and that it is important to make sure that you understand some may need extra help. Remember some may need more instructions on how to attach items and it not just be a part of the course. 

Sign In to comment