Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

It is important to think about learners in two respects:  age and learning styles.  Helping students feel comfortable in the learning process will greatly increase their likelihood of success.

Most students in online classes already need to be good communicators and good with time management and have strong executive functioning skills.  Online courses may be more convenient, but they are not, generally speaking, easier.   Make clear if you can up front what the time commitment from the course is expected to be.  Then students need to find a way to carve out that time from their own schedules.  

Open mindedness, self-motivaton, self-discipline, time management, computer competency, critical thinking and teamwork are what students require to be successful in online learning.

I learned with online learning, miscommunication can occur. To help minimize misunderstandings, it is important for the instructor to inidividualize thier mode of communication to each students.

I am a baby boomer. It is always a good review for me to read about the other generations and their common views and characteristics. It remonds me that common sense or common courtesy is defined diffentently by the other generations. 

In another module I read a comment that resonated with me. That is: The instructor must remember to facilitate, not dominate, the communication process. In my view, instructors who are facilitators and dominators are most effective. My goal is to develop and maintain the skills and knowledge to be able to be a good facilitor.

i feel if a communication mishap happens, try to have a private message with the students, to help ensure the student feels comfortable and moves forward with online communicztion. 

Understanding characteristics of each generation will help facilitate instructor-to-student (I2S), student-to-instructor (S2I), and student-to-student (S2S) communication. An understanding of these characteristics also helps build community in the course, as well as facilitate effective communication in the workplace.

This information will assist with differentiated instruction in which instructors need to understand where their students are "coming from", to be able to help them achieve the learning outcomes/objectives.

Instructors need to develop communication guidelines when considering these generational differences.

The online teacher sets to tone for the class and encourages the students students through guidelines of clear communication.  Understand that instructors my outline proper commincation, model proper communication as well as facilitate proper communication with timely feedback.  It is a skill that is to be modeled and taught as part of the course.

What students really need in ordrer to be successful in any online course  or in life in general is to be self movtivated, self disiplined and have great time management skills as well as a need to have great communication skills.

I found the first part of this section to perpetuate several stereotypes.

Students need several skills in order to be successful in an online class.

Make myself visible online and be willing to find the best ways to communicate with all learners. 

I will be working with ELL students therefore I will need to work with them on proper grammer, spelling, and not using text lingo. 

It takes a different mindset to partake in an online class.  Those involved need to be open minded, use appropriate communication, be self-disciplined, and have a good sense of time management.  Teachers should be mindful of their responses to students.  If needed, they should write the response, but perhaps walk away before sending it, and come back and read/send later.  

For effective communiction with students, the instructor needs to know the generation that each learner belongs to . I will ensure that I have the guidelines clearly  artiulated in the syllabus inorder  to improve my level of communication with the students

In order for students to be succesful communication and self disipline is key.

Knowing your audience will help to ensure the success of your online class.  Each generation has strengths and weaknesses that can be played on and can give the instructor guidance with problem solving.

Student engagement is so important here.  Helpful info here on potential generational issues!

To effectively conduct your class online, I've found that the students have to be incentivized in a variety of ways in order to engage them in this challenging learning environment!

The age differences are not as much of an issue online then face-to-face or in a classroom. Omce everyone gets aclimated, evertone is on a level playing feild. The internet is not rocket science. 

It is important that studetns understanding being open minded, using creativity and understanding all guidelines to help with the succcess online. 

Sign In to comment