Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Acoe of communication provides clear expectations for all parties no matter the age or position.

Understanding the knowledge of depth your students have will assist us in knowing the communication language that needs to be given. Giving the proper form of communication will ensure understanding and clarity from our students.

A student's age and generational characteristics can play a part on how well-prepared one is for online class communication. Possibly a mini-session of technology review including emailing, texting, posting comments etc would be beneficial for student success.

I think it was interesting how the different generations process the online work.A clear syllabus is extremely important to avoid misunderstaandings.

Identification of the student's identity or background is essential for effective communication.

In this module I learned the differences between generations as applied to technological use.  In an online course setting if these differences are not identified and addressed the communication process can suffer greatly.  This could be in I2S, S2I, and even S2S communication depending on the course.  I will use this to seek out and identify these potential differences at the beginning of courses, as part of beginning of class biography assignments.  This will help to ensure there are no generational communication barriers throughout the course.

I found it helpful when told to suggest discussion boards (questions about course content, assignments, and projects) and when to suggest private email (questions about grades or personal issues).  I will stick to this when teaching an online class. 

Online courses meet the needs of a variety of students as they are building basic skills, increasing skills for employment, and/or continuing to be active lifelong learners.

I hadn't really thought about different generations communicating in an online course. So, as an online instructor, it will be even more vital to model and thoroughly explain assignments and course requirements.

Studnets engagement is vital to successful online learning. Communication is super important from/for the students and instructors.

I learned about how the different generations may experience online learning which will help me to differentiate instruction and communicate more effectively with all students.

Students must be self-motivated (which can be difficult for students especially teenagers who may also be working), self-disciplines (they must know when to complete assignments and know when to ask for help), able to manage their time (this can be hard because they are teenagers and some still have a hard time managing their social life and school) , and my competent in computer skills (like attaching files, using word) and they must also be team players. 

I really enjoyed learning about the different communication styles of the different generations.  I know it's a generalizaiton, but it is still helpful. 

I will incorporate these techniqus demonstrated when communicating with my students from different generations.

Yes you can tell the students or try to motivate them, but they need to have some grit and self desire to do online classes or even in-person classes.

In this module it mentioned what qualities students need to become successful.  The same standards and more applies to instructors.  If instructors expect students to abide by rules then the instructor should remodel the rules plus demonstrate qualities they want students to adhere. 

Having clear guidelines for participation is always a good idea for instructors. Students learn to work I2S, S2S & S2I with civility and courteousy and are able to maintain the learning objectives. I feel the instructor can actually be more hands-on in guiding students toward civility which makes the focus on content not "personalities." 

In order to avoid misinterpretation, communication between instructors and students should be clear and concise to speak to different generations of students.

For me, this is a good reminder about how to communicate online and which characteristics to foster and encourage in my students.  It's a good reminder to look at their motivation and consider that before I respond to their communications, especially those that are not positive.

Engaging students in a productive and meaningful manner that facilitates active and engaged communications is indeed the basis of online learning. While most of burdeon for creating and maintaining this environment falls on the course designer / course instructor, students too have a highly active role in making that environment a success through timely written and verbal communications, as well as following the course or program guidelines.

It is vital to stay aware of how the communications are percieced in the online environment.

A message can very easily be misunderstood.

The teacher should double check what they have written, maybe even say it out loud to get a better feel for how it may be taken.

Sign In to comment