Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Generational differences should be taken to consideration during online learning and online students need to have time management skills, and be self motivated.

It is important for students to have clear expectations of what good communication looks and feels like. The instructor can provide this information to the students in a clearly presented syllabus.

baby boomers may have issues using technology

I personally don't feel students have a problem communicating online, text, email, etc.  It is the face to face communication that is lacking.  Ask someone how they are doing and they will almost always say, "Fine."  If they are polite they will add a "Thank you for asking and you?"  I have seen this time and time again.  I always incourrage my students to tell me exactly how they feel.  As far as online communication it is simple, write as if you are the one receiving the message.

The only real issues I have had with online communication is the motivation to interact. The students I typically have (IT students) enjoy the isolation and prefer to work alone. Getting them to interact with discussions and group projects has helped in this. I like the use of Packet Tracer and creating a multi-networked group project or using Visual Studio and having them create different modules and discussing how to get them to work together. The same can be done for any group project and what is nice is that the LMS allows for grading individually or as a group.

I learned that to communicate effectively online I need to understand the different type and generation of students and how they communicate differently.

Student engagement is vital to a successful online course. Instructor need to ensure that students participate and communicate frequently with each other.

With many baby boomers learning online you need to spell out the expectations in the syllabus and make sure they understand it.  explain time management and how to complete what is expected during the course, also be ready to help them navigate as they may be computer challenged. 

You must set your expectations for communication from the beginning of the course. 

I have learned patience with the newer generations is a necesity as they see the world differently than us but yet they must be respectifull and follow netiquette.  

Defining communication expectations to students is very important.

Students need to be movtivated, self disipline and have time managemnet to be successful.

i found from this course that you need to find the best way to communicate with the students and their learning,the way they learn and the best way its explained to them and integrate it in your cirriculum.

I learned that student engagement is vital to a sucessful online course.  Also tht effective communication is very necessary  to a positve outcome for the students taking the couse.

I think it is important in asynchronous communication, such as email, that the instructor ensure the message is clear, doesn’t show frustration, nor could it be interpreted as offensive. In my experience many miscommunications have occurred because the sender did not take the time to review their communique before sending it for these issues.  I also believe instructors need to realize their role is one more of a facilitator rather than a dominate figure and craft their messaging in that manner.

The way a student is expected to communicate should be clearly explained, demonstrated, and modeled. The communication styles of each generation can be very different, and we cannot expect that they will know how to appropriately communicate in an online course 

I have learned that different generations have different styles of learning and it is important to understand why and ensure that our overall message is being understood and heard all around.

This portion reminds me that it is okay to advise a student to seek out remediation options if they have poor communication skills. I have had students that have struggled with written and oral communication and aside from giving them tips here or there, I have been a bit hesitant to advise they seek out additional help. I guess I felt that they have enough on their plate with course content. 

Students need to be self-motivated and organized to be successful in an online class. Many times teachers can start out the course on some ways that students can be successful in the course. 

This unit, I'm taking away the urgency to encourage students to communicate right away if they're experiencing​ technical​ trouble. Since we won't have the physical cues to pick up on ​typical body languge ​frustration, learning how to help students (especially older generations or folks with less tech familiarity) navigate this virtual form will enable their success. 

Sign In to comment