Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Teachers need to provide ways for students to self-motivate and manage their time so that they are successful in the class. 

Different age groups communicate differently. Students need clear guidelines for communication to make it more uniform for all. 

I have learned their is a difference in how different age groups communicate. It is important for the instructor to consider the differences to make sue all sudent's needs are met to be successful in the online course.

Student communication is based on many different factors. That is why it is important to be concise when laying out guidelines for when and how communication should happen.

I found it interesting that different generations learn in different ways.  What is pretty much expected to me must be emphasized to younger generations.  I'll make sure that I post these expectations, like complete sentences and proper grammar, in my syllabus. 

Having taught for a span of time, the discussion on generational differences was insightful.  I find there are also subsets of each generation.  The students I taught five years ago differ from the students I teach today.

This module provides the reasons why students start an online course and "drop out" or withdraw. At one point they realize that the online course is not for everyone. 

I have been focused largely on the importance of the idea of communication in distance learning as my students are not allowed any internet access, and no technology or phone correspondence of any kind.  I am wondering if there is still a way to create communication when everything is paper based distance learning.  My students are all ages, so I am familiar with the differences in communication.  As things are during COVID I am having a difficult time getting students to particpate in communication, and I think if there were a way to create more communication amongst the class it could make a big difference.  With the adult learners I teach, the open-mindedness is probably there, but the self-discipline and self-motivation needed at the moment are lacking.  Students are good communicators when they choose to be, and hopefully this will be one key motivator to bring back their participation and communication moving forward.  Presently, we are just returning finally completion of and submission of assignments by generally self-motivated participants.

Time management and motivation are essential for student success in an online platform. Instructor feedback encouraging the student is crucial so they retain the sense of belonging that is felt within a traditional classroom structure. 

I'm taking notes to improve my canvas environment for my students.

Communication guidelines are essential.

Show your students that you care with their e learning progress by sending them supportive emails and one on one chats.

As an instructor we must clearly the communication code and the student must be able to comprehend the concepts. they must be proficient in comuunicating verbally and they must be able to write,in that same vain, we as instructors must modeled the same.

You set the tone for communication be an example and encourage students to partipate and be active communicators

Online classes are more difficult than the brick and mortar classes.  With different generations involved in each class, there will be differences in the ability to use the communication tools.

I think the most important aspect in online learning is communication. It is also important to know your students. Knowing the students within the course will help you make sure students receive the communication in a form that is best for them.  If there is an age range of students from different generations, a group text may be able to be set up so that in addition to email information can be sent that way as well. It is also important to make sure that students are participating within the class. Communication that is effective would help with this. 

I learned to take into account that participates may be of different generations. Being in different generations bring different gaps in their learning styles, as well as understanding of technology. Instructors need to be consiterate of this.  

Students also need to be self motivated, have an open mind, and understand teamwork and time management to be successful in an online course. 

Each generation has strengths and weaknesses. 

The communication code of conduct is a beneficial element to add

I teach first grade and since move of my communication is with their parents, I should be aware of the characteristics of their parents generations.  I think most of my students' parents are Generation X or Y.  It has taken me some time to get used to their grammar and spelling rules.  

Sign In to comment