Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Timely and coureous communication with students is essential for helping them communicate effectively. Messages should be considerate and reviewed before posting. On discussion board there should only be general assignment messages and communication tha all can read, all personal things like grades and criticisms should be communicated through email only. Be very clear that in the online classroonm communication is part of their grade and they must participate. They can be encouraged through making introductions, having them moderate a communication assignment, and just sharing.,

I appreciate the comments concerning generations of learners.  Each generation has it's strengths but we often judge or hold ones outside our own as deficient, lazy, ridiculous, tyrants, etc.  As we blend these groups, we are able to find the best of all and develop an appreciation for differences.

Student engagement is vital to a successful online course. Communication within the online community is a vehicle for student engagement. 

Consider the generational gaps.

Time management is crucial. 

Being aware of the varying age groups and their typical knowledge of technology can be helpful in being prepared for possible issues in the e-classroom.  Adapting our e-conversation and expectations may be necessary without changing the desired outcome of learning.

Different generations have different preferred modes of communication and different levels of writing expectations.  Having clear expectations for communication through a Code of Communication posted and agreed to by students will be a good first step to eliminate communication misunderstandings.

Online learning is more flexible but not easier than traditional learning. It may be a challenge for some students to avoid procrastination. The instructor needs to provide clear expectations and consequences. The instructor needs to intervene quickly when conflicts arise.

I learned as on-line instructors we must provide flexibility when it comes to communicating with students on-line. However, any flexibility limitations must be communicated effectively. Also, as online instructors rules for on-line engagement must be clearly and consistently communicated often.

I learned more about the different generation groups and their communication and learning styles and realize that my online course's communication guidelines must consider these differences. In addition, I learned that because of the nature of online courses, misunderstandings may occur more easily, reinforcing the importance of carefully communicating with students. 

I learned about the elements that must be part of online communication. Alpplication of these elements (courteous, respectful, no criticizing, be clear, concise, and simple, etc) will make the online classroom a friendly enviromnet where students will feel more comfortable participating.  

i think it wa interesting reading about the different Generations and how they accept/don't accept tehnology.  I am the last of the Baby boomer generation, and get fustrated with texting.

With the lack of nonverbal communication, it is important to not misinterpret messages. Account for generations and read messages for content and possible misinterpretation such as tone or humor. It is important to remember that online learning is not for everyone, but still share any suggestions to help students be successful.

Understanding generational differences can help differentiate instruction to meet their needs and use their strengths the students bring with them.  it is important to reach, through effective communication, all of the students and to build an online community.

Knowing and understanding the differences among generations will help me to plan my courses using differentiated instruction. If I, as online instructor know the characteristics of each group, these will help me when planning and communicating with my students.

When teaching online classes to different generations of students within the same course, your instructional communication must be clear and percise. 

Communcaiton can deter the different ages that emcompass my course. I have to be readily available with all forms of communcation , espeically civility is highly encouraged.

Student engagement is key to any successful online class.

I realized that I need to set a time expectation for completing work. While I have based my weekly modules around about 45 minutes to an hour a day, I have not specifically communicated that expectations to students. 

I have learned to pay more attention to the ages of online participants for expectations of communication issues.  I also have learned to set higher expectations for self-discipline and motivation of the students.  I also need to provide more frequent feedback.

Diffrent methods of how online instructors can be aware of the diffrent generations that are taking their online course. I did not even give this any consideration. I will be better perpared to adjust my teaching and ready for any questions that may arise due to this.

Sign In to comment