Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

The importance of specific feedback as well as the different types of assessment including summative assessments and that they should be directly related to the course learning outcomes. 

That there are many types of ways to give feedback and to utilize them but also a rubric is important. It tells the student what is needed and how the assignment is to be graded. 

Appropriate and timely feedback is necessary for students to know and understand what they did right and what they did wrong. This way they can see where they need to improve. Plus positive reinforcements help students confidence. 

Yesenia Leiva

Feedback is very important, as it is a way to communicate with the student. It provides insight how they feel going forward on a module or exercises. I like the Rubric has it pertains to the assignment and provides better understanding of the grade. 

Feedback is essential all the time when discussing and in each specific objective.

Providing good thorough feedback of any kind can be helpful when the students are encouraged to read and review to ensure further learning with future assignments.

I really liked the idea of self-assessment and the reflective question asking students what they changed after completing their self-assessment. It's standard to suggest that students edit their work and read it carefully for errors before turning it in; however, I think the self-assessment and having them grade their paper according to the rubric would add a great deal of value to a final edit.

Nancy Tosh

It is important to provide clear feedback to students for help improve outcomes.

This is about making constructive criticism. It is also attempting to make objective standards on how to assess learning and teaching.

Online courses need a strong assessment plan, including both formative and summative assesment. Assessment methods should be varied and appropriate to both the learning objectives and level of learning. For higher levels of learning, where the product of the assessment cannot be readily measured by right or wrong answers, rubrics deatiling criteria and the level at which it was met and how points are assigned can be very helpful. Self-assessment can help students review and revise their own work. Peer assessment can also be valuable and should be accompanied by guidance to reviewers and rubrics to help them effectively assess the work.

I learned the importance of having various types of assessments.

Assessment is a key component of learning because it helps students learn. When students are able to see how they are doing in a class, they are able to determine whether or not they understand course material.

I learned that rubrics can be a useful tool for assessment for things other than research papers and projects.

Feedback is an important tool not only from the instructor but from the students.  However, feedback not given guidlines can derail a class.

Appropriate and timely feedback is extremely important to learning and to facilitate retention of material for the student to scaffold their learning into a future connected course. An example would be from BIO 101 to BIO 201.

It may take more time, to provide detailed feedback, but it really benefits the student.  It encourages the student to provide quality work and, thus the learning continues.

Assessments (formative/summative/self/peer) are essential components to focus on what student understands or needs imporvement with and the use of Rubrics allow the student to know expectations of assignment.  I will apply all of the above to my courses as this will assist me in properly faciliting student learning.

In this lesson, I learned about the importance of formative assessment, which is a way of gathering what students have learned through a non-graded activity.  An example of formative assessment is a non-graded quiz or practice problems that are not collected for a grade.  This idea really stands out to me, especially for an online course.  I want to find ways to incorporate more formative assessments in my online courses.  Since I don't teach synchronous courses, it will be difficult to work in reflection questions as a way of formative assessment.  Thus, I'd like to create some short non-graded quizzes to gauge how well students are learning the material before they are set loose to complete larger projects and exams.

Rubrics are something I always include with assignments.  I never thought of how we can sometimes use comments to justify the grade we have given to an assignment.

Using rubrics demonstrate to the learner the criteria to earn points and also assists the instructor in being consistent with awarding points for efforts. 

Providing feedback is important, and utilizing rubrics.

Sign In to comment