Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I learned utilizing peer-reviewed feedback is a new way for me to provide constructive feedback to students. 

It takes time to develop meaningful feedback but it is worth the time.

Feedback is crucial to building confidence in students and providing instructing.

Give positive feedback, and avoid overanalyzing and commenting too much on your feedback on an assignment.  

Hello, I need to be clear what my expectations

feedback allows the learner to have rapid knowledge of their strengths and where they need areas of improvement

Incorporating a range of assessment types , such as formative, summative, self-assessments, and peer assessments, is an excellent method for achieving a balanced approach to assessment while simultaneously promoting enhanced learning. This module also reminds me the importance of providing students with effective feedback that will equip them with valuable insights to increase their learning and performance.

Feedback is important for both sides.

I have not used rubrics before. This sounds like a good tool.

Tailoring a Comprehensive Assessment Plan: A Reflection on "Teaching Online: A Student-Centered Approach"

The holistic approach towards assessment elucidated in "Teaching Online: A Student-Centered Approach" has provided a profound understanding of how assessment should be a tandem endeavor between the instructors and the students. It resonates well with the concept of continuous improvement which is pivotal in an ever-evolving educational landscape.

Here are some key takeaways and applications from the module:

Understanding Assessment:

The module emphasized viewing assessment as a dual-purpose tool to evaluate students' understanding and the effectiveness of teaching methodologies. This idea is enlightening and underscores the importance of a feedback loop in the teaching-learning ecosystem.
Moving forward, I plan to incorporate reflective practices to gauge the effectiveness of the instructional strategies employed and adapt them based on the insights garnered from the assessments.

Formative and Summative Assessments:

The delineation between formative and summative assessments and their respective roles in a course was elucidated well. The idea of embedding formative assessments like exit tickets and muddiest-point papers within the instruction to gauge understanding in real-time is innovative.
I intend to blend both formative and summative assessments in my courses to create a balanced evaluation system that not only grades students but also aids in their learning journey.

Rubrics:

The notion of rubrics as more than just a checklist but as a tool to ensure consistency in grading is compelling. It's fascinating how a well-designed rubric can clarify the expectations upfront and streamline the grading process while providing meaningful feedback.
I will endeavor to design comprehensive rubrics for assignments and projects to elucidate the expectations and the grading criteria. This will also foster transparency in the evaluation process.

Self-Assessment and Peer Assessment:

The module illustrated how self-assessment and peer assessment can foster a deeper understanding and critical thinking among students. It’s enlightening to see how these assessments can help students to review, revise and learn from each other.
I plan to incorporate self-assessment and peer assessment in my courses to promote reflective practices and collaborative learning. Providing clear guidelines for these assessments will be crucial to ensure their effectiveness.

Providing Meaningful Feedback:

The significance of providing detailed, individualized feedback that is connected to the learning objectives was well-articulated. The various methods of providing feedback based on the nature of the assignment were also insightful.
Going forward, I plan to employ a mix of written, auditory, and visual feedback based on the nature of the assessments. Furthermore, I will explore technologies that can aid in providing timely and meaningful feedback to the students.

Incorporating Technology:

Technology seems to be a linchpin in orchestrating an effective online assessment strategy. Be it through creating dynamic syllabi, managing e-communities, or employing various digital tools for assessments and feedback, the role of technology is undeniable.
I plan to leverage various digital tools and platforms to enhance the assessment experience. Employing tools for creating interactive quizzes, discussion forums for peer assessments, and digital platforms for submissions and feedback will be part of this endeavor.

Accessibility and Inclusivity:

The module also touched upon the importance of catering to the diverse needs of students, including those with special needs. Providing auditory feedback for visually impaired students and visual feedback for hearing-impaired students is essential for inclusivity.
I plan to ensure that the assessment strategies employed are inclusive and accessible to all students. This will involve exploring technologies that can aid in providing accessible feedback and assessments.
The module has been a cornucopia of insights into creating a robust assessment plan that is student-centric, inclusive, and leverages technology to enhance the learning and teaching experience. The blend of theoretical knowledge with practical examples has provided a clear roadmap on how to tailor an assessment plan that is aligned with the course objectives and caters to the diverse learning styles and needs of the students.

In summation, the knowledge acquired from this module will be instrumental in redefining the assessment strategies in my online courses to create a more engaging, insightful, and enriching learning experience for the students.

A great note within this module was the admonition to "focus feedback on providing information to increase learning rather than using your comments to justify the grade. The rubric is what provides justification for the grade." 

In an online graduate-level course, providing meaningful feedback using a student-centered approach is essential for fostering a rich learning experience. This approach involves tailoring feedback to individual students' needs, addressing their strengths and weaknesses, and aligning it with the course objectives. By acknowledging each student's unique perspective and encouraging self-assessment and reflection, instructors can empower graduate learners to take ownership of their education, promoting deeper engagement and higher levels of critical thinking throughout the course.

Positive feedback from the instructor helps keep the student motivated to learn.   It's critical for the instructor to maintain positivity when evaluating student's work.

Assessments should be meaningful to the student not generic.  Rubrics provide the teacher and student with assessing their coursework and help students to understand where they are at in the assessment and where they may want to be on their next assessment.

I allow for a do-over when a student has missed the mark on an assignment. I am going to add the phrase suggested in this lesson "What 1 (or more) things did you change in your self-assessment or self-reflection process?"

More than anything, this section reiterated that what I'm already employing as my feedback methodologies in my online courses are best practices, and it reiterated much of what we review in departmental meetings.

Feedback provides potential for growth and understanding.

The use of forms of formative and summative assessments with a focus on the use of a rubric, for teacher and peer assessments, are very useful feedback tools. 

Recognizing the importance of diverse assessment types, including formative, summative, self, and peer assessments, is integral to fostering a comprehensive learning experience.

Grading Rubics need to clearly set Criteria and Objectives through the Title, Objective, Specific Criteria, Points Associated to Criteria, Rows for Totaling Columns and Overall Total, and Grading Scale.

Self and Peer Assessment can be used to working towards better understanding for a better final evaluation. Instructor Assessment Feedback during Self and Peer Assessment helps increase learning and overall understanding of objectives. Meaningful Feedback leads to improved learning.

Sign In to comment