Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I really liked the pre-emptive approach for students who may have technical issues by inquiring early on in order to identify them quickly. The situations with resistance and students will always be there but the online approaches suggested here have easily given me more options for which I am grateful. Conflict resolution and de-escalation are human and ongoing but this gives me a more effective and consistent approach. 

Learned about feedback and different type of students and how to mange conflict.

I learned that there are different types of students related to online learning just as there are in classroom learning. It's important to identify students who may procrastinate and offer time management suggestions. It's important to be aware of a students other "roles" and how this may affect their ability to follow through with an online course. 

There are different types of online learners

We need to stay opened minded to students who will lack in technology skills. We also need to be able to help them be engaged in class. 

Learning about the various types of "problem" students was interesting. I just dealt with an intimidator and I was pleased to see that what I did was what was advised here. Of all the types, I think the quiet student is the easiest to deal with because you just need to create an encouraging, warm space for them.

Nancy Tosh

Enlightening discussion of the many reasons students can be alienated from the online course (and ways to deal with each type).

With online learning there will be a plethera of communication and information going back and forth between myself and my students.  A major key to my helping students succeed and stay engaged in their courses is to keep information well organized. This will assist in making prompt and appropriate responses as well as being aware of any ongoing issues. While there are different types of learners in a an online course, it is important to be mindful of the varying needs of the students and as a faculty member utilize the instutional guidelines to administer policies and resolutions.

Clear, posted guidelines in the syllabus or policy and procedure manuals can be a reference when problems arise. Early intervention can protect the learning environment from conflict and prevent escalating problems. Having been a victim of a disruptive intimidator in a previous course, early enforcement of guidelines could have saved much pain and frustration.

use the chat feature to counsel students to avoid email overload. 

This lesson opened my eyes to the frustrations that student can feel related to technical issues.  I plan to be more cognizant of technical concerns and share information so students can avoid them.

How to manage students and respond accordingly. 

Learning that students will bring with them into the e-learning environment behavioral traits inherent to their personality traits. This is helpful because it canhelp instructors learn how to interact with students. 

Monitor student engagement to keep them on track.

In an online course it is very easy to fall in to the trap of 'meeting students where they are.' I introduce the expectations of the course right away. I usually give an assignment to figure out who my procrastinators, noisy, and quiet people are. I learned this technic from my college English professor. The Professor gave all the students a daunting task to secure their seat in the class. We all were told to complete this assignment and return to class the next with it ready to go. Less than half the class returned. The Professor was able to weed out the procrastinator's. There were still a lot of noisy and quiet people but at least the class moved quickly. I don't go to that extreme and risk losing my population but I do give assignments to see how the students will react.

I learned that personal emial should be responded to provately and not in a open forum. Also to avoid promising immediate responses and use discrection . save all documentation 

Reply to Pamela Gabbay's post:These are great tips to keep the flow smooth.

The best part is the discussion of the differing personalities students bring to class and how to happen. 

I learned the importance in teaching students time management. 

Noisy and disruptive learners tend to be emboldened by the distance aspect of online education.  It's very important to manage these students and the learning environment in general so that everyone stays focused and comfortable.

Sign In to comment