Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I learned that there are many types of learners and there are strategies to deal with even the disruptive learner. The quiet learner to me is the hardest to get engaged and I was happy to learn some strategies to try to get them engaged. I also learned about ways to keep track of things in the classroom.  

online courses require a diffrent level of dedication from in person courses

Importance of continued communication and engagement with students.

Two possible ways of handling noisy learners in an asynchronous setting are:

1. Send an e-mail to the learner advising him or her to remain on the existing thread until it is exhausted.
  2. Provide some personal attention by making a special request for the learner to provide some specific input into the discussion. If the learner continues to surf around, steer him or her back into the mainstream of the discussion.

In this Module, there was a great reminder for me to remind students to seek technical support. I tend to make this my responsibility but there is additional support for me too!

Some learners may find it difficult to develop informal relationships in an e-learning environment; therefore, it is important to monitor their participation levels. 

It is important to monitor the dynamics of the online classroom to make sure that the students are communicating and using the discussion forums accorning to the student code ofconduct and institution guidelines.

In online learning procrastination seems to be the biggest difficulty my students have while in the course. Many of them are having difficulty making the transition from the typical classroom to the self paced e-learning classroom.

I liked the topic of identifying issues that can occur with the online platform. I find this useful in creating a remedy for keeping the students engaged and assisting them with issues that my artise.

• Conducting a preliminary survey to identify them.
  • Sending personal reminders of how to obtain technical support.
  • Volunteering your help personally to resolve technical issues by getting help from your technical support staff.
  • Reminding students that they can receive assistance.

Great points that are highly effective.

Evaluate the different types of students present in your class so that you can adequately manage them.  Keep good records.  Have a good organized filing system for student assignments and grades. 

This course centers around the different types of students that will be encountered in the e-learning realm and the importance of maintaining a professional, well documented communications system with the students. 

This course was very informative regarding why students wil drop out of class and how to reach out to them when they are facing difficulities  also learning the different types of students who will approach a discussion and how to privatly speak to them 

Personally emailing students can be a huge advantage when it comes to students feeling support, confronting disruptive students, or encouraging shy students to participate. 

I really like the suggestions on how to handle a quiet learner.  In particular, I think sending an email to the quiet learner that refers either to their biography or something else you know about them that would be valuable to the discussion makes the learner feel valued.  The value thus imparted by the instructor with the email can increase the confidence of the quiet learner.  Indeed, the quiet learner may post something of exceptional value as a result, thus helping out the entire class.  

few very important parts of effective e-learning are addressed in this module. Appropriate record keeping and effective communication are very important for the suuccessful learning. also student's behaviour should be identified in advance and should be adressed appropriately. Every effort should be made to minimize the student attrition.

I learned the importance of keep record of every thing that has do with the students.

No matter the environment as instructors we must be prepared to deal with many types of personalities.  Keep record of written communications.  

I really appreciate the recommendations for effective strategies for:

• Keeping course records.
  • Communicating with students.
  • Counseling students.
  • Dealing with undesirable behavior.
  • Resolving student conflicts.
  • Minimizing student attrition.

What really resonated with me was learning about behavioral traits inherent to a student's personality profiles and how to manage that type of learner.  I have found that in the traditional classroom, you can observe and immediately modify or correct undesirable behaviors.  Online learning environments could create a challenge for managing such behaviors.  I plan to use this in my online communication classes.

Managing an onlime course has a lot of challenges from all sources. It could be IT issues or student related. I know I have my share of strugles, but I am improving continually through practice and continual conversation swith other staff.

Some students may be reluctant to engage due to their limited written communication skills. Some students may try to intimidate an instructor into giving them the best grade possible and may become verbally abusive.

Sign In to comment