Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Difference between synchronous and asynchronous is very important when it comes to students when engaging with them. 

Synchronous discussions are best 1 on 1. 

Asynchronous discussions allow everyone to participate without having the conversation dominated by fast typers.

I have learned the difference between Synchronous and Asynchronous. The asynchronous is the best approach to encourage participation.  

One way to engage students in an online learning environment is to help keep the discussion board active and engaging.

I learned the difference between synchronous and asynchronous learning; that learning becomes more effective is a small class size in a synchronous learning environment, while it is acceptable to have a larger class size in an asynchronous learning environment. 

The importance of feedback and the wording of feedback in the online learning environment is undeniable. I have had instructors who encourage me to be more robust in my discussion board responses and it really helped drive me to take my learning and reflection to a higher level. 

Give good idea about asynchronous and synchronous discussion and proper use, challenges ofboth . How to engage all student in learning .

Importance of feed back .

I'm going to have to increase the amount of asynchronous communication in my classes. For the most part, my impression was that they were of limited value, but changing the way I use them and putting the ideas in this section to work will improve my classes.

The Bergquist & Philips taxonomy of learning styles was interesting and useful. I might share the list with my students to see if it gives them some insight into their own learning styles. The handbook they wrote is available online, and although some of it is dated, it's got some good points. For a busy instructor, it's probably TL/DR stuff, but I had some time so look at it.

Synchronous learning is what I am used to, but for my students, it's less important. They rarely take notes, and many don't like to participate in discussions. Even when classes meet on campus, students don't interact. They arrive early and look at their phones until class begins without talking or even looking at each other. Most would rather watch a recorded lecture than come to class.

I liked how the course divides into asynchronous and synchronous learning. There are a lot of helpful tips to manage both groups.

I have learned from this module that we as instructors encourage reflection, critical thinking, and more student involvement. Even introverted students, who avoid speaking in traditional classroom settings, speak up in asynchronous discussion forums.

Participation means student are paying attention.

It's important to fill in the communication gaps that can be hindered by online discussions. Compensate for lack of non-verbals by using color, bolding, and underlining in your messages. I found that the use of emojis was suggested to be interesting because some educators may think that's informal for an academic setting but I find that it is a good tool to incorporate since students are comfortable and used to emojis in their digital communication. 

This is great to learn and be aware of the difference between synchonous and asynchronous. Be aware of the advantages and disadvantage of each learning style.

Positive feedbacks are essential for synchronous and asynchronous meetings.

I learned how important it is to keep students engaged when using online learning and that asynchronous best for most larger groups.  Snychronous is best with small or one on one discussions.

Seeing the difference with virtual learning it vital for success in all students no matter their personality.  Evaluating the type of personality each student has will be an excellent guide.

I learned to make sure you have narrow topics for asynchronous discussions to prevent the discussion from rambling in too many directions.  It is your job to keep discussions focused, directed, and on topic by designing good questions, providing guidelines for students to use when composing their responses and providing discussion summaries. 

I learned that asynchronous learning is a great way to allow students to engage in their learning experience. It gives them time to absorb the material in their own way.   

The importance of online group discussion boards is often an under-utilized course tool.

I thin my best takeaway from this module is how to manage synchronous meetings (max 30 mins and few students) ,  I think is better for individualization. 

Sign In to comment