Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

In this module we learned best practices for fostering participation in asynchronous and synchronous discussions and best practices for providing feedback to students. 

Personally, I favored the traditional classroom setting, because in an online learning environment I cannot see the non-verbal learning ques or feedback in the form of body language such as smiles, nods, confused looks, frowns, etc. but with COVID...I've learned to adapt.

I agree that it is important to:

• Provide feedback on a timely basis.
  • Word your feedback messages in such a way that they build confidence within learners and encourage them to continue to pursue the objectives of the course.
  • When your feedback includes criticisms, choose the correct tone and wording to avoid damaging the learner's dignity.

Students should receive feedback from instructors on a regular basis. I also don't hesitate to solicit student feedback about how the course is progressing and if they are getting out of the course what they want? Are there some teaching methods that are ineffective for themor that they do not like?

I find this helps me become a better teacher and students are more respectful and receptive to learning.

We are fairly to e-learning and I still struggle a bit with asynchronous conversations. I have always been use to face to face learnigng. I find through practice and discussion with others that I am improving.

In synchronous discussions, allow time for social interaction at the beginning and end of every session.

The suggested methods for asynchronus and synchronus discussions was very helpful regarding the online environment. The types of student learning styles as well has shown that I need to be more prepared to engage them as well as evaluate any deficits quickly in the online arena.      

I learned to engage students in an online learning enviroment must be intentional as there is no face to face interaction.

The difference between synchronous and asynchronous discussions is important as synchronous discussions work best with small groups of students or individual students. It's also important to provide feed back at the end of a discussion

Will use synchronous instruction for invidiual learnings

I have found that daily discussionpost are great ways to stay in touch. With small personal responses back to the students let them know you are listening.

Provide positive encouragement

Keep students engaged in learning by making sure there are online meetings even when we dont meet in person. 

I am glad that emoticons were mentioned. I once worked for a school where they forbade their use for a while. Communicating tone, enthusiasm, and encouragement were extremely difficult without smiling faces and humor went over a lot better with a little winking face. I was glad when the school reconsidered their policy.

Nancy Tosh

It is good to engage in smalltalk, use text abbreviations, and color, bold and font to create more interest and encourage the students to engage. 

Good advice for instructor orchestration of discussions in order to get quality participation from students.

Unexpectantly, I have learned that using emoticons and other cutesy things such as "lol" are a good way to engage the students. I agree that using proper syntax and proofreading are important in conveying competence to the students.

In teaching online it is important to reward students with points, according to the assignment rubric to encourage participation and keep evaluation fair and transparent

There were a lot of interesting points made in this lesson.  What particularly resonated with me is responding to groups of students in asynchronous discussion boards at a time.  I've made a habit of responding to individual posts, but am going to focus on enriching the conversation by tying multiple student posts into one reply post from me.

I didn't know what synchronous and asynchronous was. 

very interesting material , the operation of online learning is quite a challege that i can work on

interaction between student-student as well as student-teacher is important. Understanding a student's learning type is also important to help some students succeed. 

Strategies for participation in the asynchronous sessions was helpful to learn. Specifically how to maintain and present the discussion board was helpful. Providing feedback to learners and how to keep them engagedwithout rambling is a good way to ensure the discussion stays on topic and within the realm of the topics covered. 

Sign In to comment