Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

being more observant to students learning styles will help me tremendously 

I think that sperating the students inot smaller groups for virtural discussions makes sense. Mainly becaue I can work with the students' personal schedules a little easier than trying to get the whole class at once. 

Constant feedback in a constructive way is important. Guidelines for answers to topics or questions. Ecourage and facilitate an interesting online learning experience. Be aware of different learning styles.

Engaging students through conversation in an online course can be both a good and bad thing. It allows for the more introverted students the opportunity to engage in discussions without the stress that can come from an in-person discussion. For me, as an instructor, it is important to encourge the discussions and be careful with wording. Encourage, while still ensuring the students get correct information.

Requesting feedback often and sincerely is critical in order for the instructor to know if the student's expectations are being met, ways to improve the class and ways the instructor can improve the presentations of the materials.

In my particular case my students will participate in daily, sycronous video-enhanced lectures with more of a fact-finding discussion to post afterwards.  Since we do have lab time everyday for 4.5 hours I plan to actively address any learning/participation issued in person.  I'm planning on having a fun discussion topic that is more of a "DID YOU KNOW? where students research the history behind a given preparation or cooking technique.  I believe this method may spur curiosity among the dependent learners and move them into a more participatory catagory. 

Synchronous teaching online keeps everyone on pace with the course in real time, where asynchronous lag a little. I can see this for diffrent situations.

The information regarding online learning styles was great! I can see how to address those styles most effectively 

The discussion board is a great way to keep students engaged in the online environment. In addition, the discussion thread is a great way to establish a consistent "presence".

I like the idea of asking students, if they are getting what they need in the course?

Asynchronous discussions have been a standard mode of interaction for all of the online courses I've taught.  In some cases, optional synchronous chats have been offered, but these usually have exceptionally low participation.  Working synchronously in an online environment is very difficult because of time zones and work/family schedules.

Matt Wilkerson

I am learning the difference between asynchronous and synchronous instruction. I plan to apply the asynchronous modes of participation of students and how to get students involved. I also will give immediate feedback to students.

Be prepared be ready be available listen to your students make sure they know you're not ignoring them Don't single track ! respond as soon as you can to their questions and let them know that you really are interested in their success

asynchronous is good to keep the group engaged and synchronous discussions are helpful with individual clarifications

Very interesting to see the different learning styles online are the ones I see in the classroom.  Discussion boards are a great way to keep students engaged and seeing other points of view.

Interestingly, the section I just finished is on postings. There isn't really interaction with other posters here. So, to me, its not real, except it gets me thinking about it a little more (i.e. cause its not actually working here). Also, what up with the small print? It makes me feel unimportant ;)

Again these fostered ideas of synchronous/asynchronous discussions are generalities, and well meaning. The fact of the matter is, I believe, that we are at a distinct disadvantage using an asynchronous learning style teaching our particular trade. This is highly technical information, needing to be disseminated in a relatively short period of time, compared to some other technical schools, where the same information is disseminated over almost twice the period of time. Also this module does not mention the overall time/input necessities required to implement such procedures. Having the type of schedules colleges or technical schools would certainly make things easier. We at PCI are not afforded the luxury of time to do the necessary course devolpments and course setups that other institutions may have significantly longer, and with designated department heads to acccomplish. At greater salaries I might add. 

It's hard to stay focused on the concept that we're trying to put qualified electrical apprentices out the door. As one of my Navy Commanders once said, "When you're up to your butts in alligators, it's hard to remember your primary objective was to drain the swamp."

If you are going to use synchronous it is best to have a video enabled chat, keep the session to 30 minutes or less, and have approximatley  six students participating at a time.

I always thought that synchronous was a better way to go.  I can see how that is not accurate with a text based course.  Using synchronous teaching is better with fewer students and with a video conferencing set up.  I need to use the students preferred name when responding to the discussion and bring everything together and keep everyone on track.

What I learned was the information presented for (a)synchronous discussions. Participation is important. 

Sign In to comment