Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I learned about the disadvantages of synchronous online discussions.

It was interesting learning the difference between asynchronous and synchronous discussions. This gave me a deeper understanding as to why synchronous discussions should not be utilized for critical course content.  The list of learning styles was interesting and how to help the three types of learners that are avoidant, competitive and dependent. It was good to hear how to encourage and identify the shy learner.

Learning the difference between asynchronous and synchronous discussions.  Knowing the different learning styles and how to apply them to students, and how to approuch students who start to fallback.

Interaction is likely to be higher when learners are rewarded for their efforts than in situations in which no marks are awarded.  Ensure that each learner experiences your presence in his or her learning experience.  You should also seek feedback from students on a regular basis. Solicit student feedback about how the course is progressing. Are they getting out of the course what they want? Is the course fulfilling their expectations? Are there some things you are doing that they do not like?

Allowing time for small talk is crucial to providing a good online learning experience. Offering time for small talk at the beginning of class and closing remarks at the end will engage the students in a deeper more meaningful way.  

I have placed a priority on Synchronous discussion because 3/4 of my classes are intended to be face-to-face teaching versus online. Asynchronous not only feels too distant but the programs at my University are underdeveloped for such purposes. That being said, the suggestions for synchronous discussion (mine being via video) were helpful and clarified a few of the ongoing struggles. particularly relevant being providing material to be discussed well ahead of time so that students can become familiar with the information.

Structure my comments to promote further discussion among students, which can help keep folks in engaged in online conversations.

Both synchronous and asynchronous communication is important to the online learning environment.  More emphasis is placed on asynchronous learning, because it is used for instruction and peer-to-peer discussions.  

I would like to hone the use of asynchronous communication for the library course site by adding discussion sections for the entire student population to convene.  Perhaps topics such as gaming, favorite books, favorite movies, most popular memes, etc., can be utilized to generate interest across the wider student population and engage them in friendly discussion.

I have found class sizes of 10-20 stydents are more likely to participate in discussions.

I had not thought about holding synchronous chats with individual students in the class. This would be a great way to really connect with the students on a more personal level.

When assigning Discussion Boards,it is good to give prompt feedback to posts,and encourage expanding on the students thoughts

I learned the benefittss of both synchronous and asynchronous learrning iiin the online classroom.

My takeaway from this module is to ensure the discussion questions are worded in a direct and uncomplicated way to encourage participation even from those shy students. I will ensure I have timely responses to their posts to give feedback as quickly as possible so students feel supported and remain engaged in the course. 

Identify differnt types of learners and how to support them.

Pros and cons of Asynchronous and Synchronous styles.

Importance of productive feedback.

This module taught me some benefits of asynchoronous discussions that I was previously unaware of. It definitely benefits those students who are normally shy or reluctant to share in the traditional classroom or synchronous discussions. 

Appreciate specifying why synchronous discussions are less effective.

Using the asynchronous discussion is more effective than the synchronous discussion. When using the esychrouous discussion i need to keep it to small groups. Need to be clear and concise with content and answers while engaging in discussion boards and types.

Asynchronous discussions are best to encourage participation from students, You should also allow time for students to socialize before starting group discussions to help with engagement. 

Setting up Rubric's ahead of time for responses and include set times with minutes for greetings and farewells. 

lots of good ideas that i haven't thought about.

Will definately be using the advice and techniqes

that i learned in this section. 

Sign In to comment