Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I will defintelly use multiple strategies to engage students and appreciated the guidance on best practices for synchronous and asynchronous meetings. 

This module provided a road map on how to manage and engage with students via asynchronous and synchronous. It was interesting to note that there are minor differences on how to utilize each for maximum student benefit. This module was very instructive.

Currently with COVID, we use ZOOM for live lectures and record then distribute to each student. THis allow reflection and further comprehension on each topic. I hadn't considered a weekly summary/update from students on the progress of the course as we do this verbally, but, considering not all can be in live lecture, this will be a positive way to keep tabs on students and myself as the educator. Non-verbal cues like emoticons haven't been implemented mainly due to course content is already exhaustive, however, it will allow some more reclusive learners to participate without verbal needs. 

I learned about the importance of asynchronous discussion in the online setting, as well as the importance of providing timely feedback that encourages and motivates.

Less Synchronous discussions and more asynchronous to allow all students to share without feeling uncomfortable.

Providing Feedback is important

Reply to Lawrence Bufalino's post: I learned that we should use small talk during synchronus discussions to allot enough time for socializing at the beginning of the synchronus discussions, also to allow time for ending remarks of the synchronus debate questions.

I learned a new word; netiquette.

Instructor interaction in both synchronous and asynchronous discussions can create an interactive learning environment. It is important to foster an environment that helps learning. Consider student learning styles and incorporate in interactions

Regards

Dr Ajmal

I learned to keep feedback positive and encouraging, as well as, try to engage students in feedback regually. 

Give e-learners feedback like a cimpliment sandwich.

Be prepare and be ckear on the instructions.

Very good advise for interacting with the students and maintaining or enhancing student engagement.

It was interesting to see the Learnng Styles identified. I knew this from classroom teaching, but hadn't pinpointed it to words

It is important to be sure you engage one student at a time in a synchronous environment.

I underdstood the difference between synchronous and asynchronous discussions. Also how it is important to provide feedback to students and be careful on how to address it especially in the online environment.

The information presented regarding asynchronous and synchronous discussions was valuable and provided good advice when managing course discussions amongst students. Kind constructive feedback is so very important with all students.

I have never heard of Asynchronous or Synchronous. This was a great learning experience for me and I incorporate this in my teaching.

Asynchronous discussions can be very valuable to students if the questions are properly worded to make students think about and apply the knowledge they have gleaned from the course content. The instructor has to carefully monitor discussions and enforce proper netiquette. The instructor should also provide a summary to the discussion topic, and communicate individually with each student after each discussion forum is completed, providing constructive criticism when needed. For synchronous discussions, individual works best, but no more than 5 or 6 students at a time in one discussion forum.

I learned the difference between synchronous and asynchronous discussions in an online platform. Engaging learners in e-learning is the responsibility of the instructor and in doing so the instructor must understand the various learning styles of the students. Finally, instructors should provide immediate and constructive feedback to students. 

Sign In to comment