Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

It is important to provide video or live camera when conducting a class

Reviewing this modules re-inforces the difference between synchronous and asynchronous courses.  Challenges with asynchronous include different time zones and different learning styles as well as participation. 

This module also reinforces the importance of giving feedback that is motivational and encourages confidence. 

I learned that it is better to have online discussions asynchronous as opposed to synchronous, because the different personalities that could inhibit participation from other students.

I learned about synchronous and asynchronous meetings and why one is better than others.  I will utilize it to ensure I know how to assess if my students are retaining the information or not. 

Comment on Pamela Gabbay's post: I think  the suggestion to add new comments to keep the discussion going is very helpful. You as the instructor can also add new comments to direct the discussion to priority topics. 

Keeping the participation and engagement in online courses is key for successful learning. 

Implementing new strategies for students to give me feedback on how i am doing and what i can do better to improve the learning environment.

Small groups for some project are very important and can be very helpful with larger projects.

Student engagement, especially in an online setting, is essential for student retention. 

Active participation in both asynchronous and synchronous discussions is crucial for a vibrant online learning community. It encourages diverse perspectives, enhances collaborative learning, and fosters a deeper understanding of the course material. Additionally, providing timely and constructive feedback is essential for student growth and success. It not only reinforces positive aspects but also guides improvements, creating a supportive environment that enhances the overall learning experience.

Mohd Ali

Begin online with an open question to peak interest and get conversation going. Get to the learning point quickly making sure to keep the students interest. Check for understanding at a few points. Synchronous and asynchronous are important for student participation.

Interesting section that allows you to learn about the six different learning styles in online courses. Also learning about asynchronous and synchronous learning in detail was very instructive.

The technical difference between synchronous and asynchronous communication in the classroom.  

Asynchronous discussions are best, more likely to get students participation. trust is a valuable tool and so is the kneed for the student to gain knowledge

The differences between synchronous and asynchronous can have a huge impact on student learning.  

If you can keep your students engaged they will participate and learn more.

I like the idea that everyone must contribute and not just a few.

It’s important to give feedback to the students in private! Having an Asynchronous discussion should be done in a way that is not only helpful for the students but is online. This way all of the students feed off each other’s information and they all participate. Synchronous learning can be utilized for classroom discussions, enabling the students to engage in conversations with each other as well as engaging in activities.

Student engagement is critical in an online environment. Instructors can stay connected by Implementing tools such as synchronous and asynchronous meetings, discussion boards, chats, and email. Course participation and retention rates go hand in hand. 

My response will focus on asynchronous discussion threads. I encourage the conversation to happen as soon as possible. Many students bring up some great points right before the deadline. The challenge with this late posting of replies is that other students may not see them as the discussion is close to closure. Additionally, be sure to spike out specific comments made by the student. This lets the student know that the instructor read and considered the posting.

Sign In to comment