Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Engaging Learners | Origin: EL102

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Online Teaching Techniques --> Engaging Learners

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

One of the primary ways to engage students in an online learning environment is to help keep the discussion board active and engaging. If the conversation stalls in any way, it's important to add new content to the conversation and invite students to participate!

The information presented regarding asynchronous and synchronous discussions was valuable and provided good advice when managing course discussions amongst students.

Placing asynchronous discussion topics on boards help keep all students involved.  Students can learn from each other in this sitting, as everyone has a different learning approach. 

The difference between Synchronous and Asynchronous Discussion Learning and Feedback. When giving a feedback with criticism do it privately in private email. Synchronous is used mainly for Chat Sessions and must be limited to 5-6 students, response can be immediate. Asynchronous done with larger group and response time is longer.

I learned the difference between Asynchronous and Synchronous and how to managed them durning the online classes. To make sure to set guidelines for each of them for the discussions

I found it very interesting to see the characteristics of online learning styles - avoidant, competitive and dependent. These are much different than the in person styles encountered in a tradiitonal classroom environment. We adapt learning to accommpdate kinesthetic, visual amd auditory learners. It is equally important to identify learning styles for online participants and provide appropriate interventions to enhance learning.

gaining trust is most important and delivering the needed knowledge

It was fascinating to learn abou the different online learning styles. I often see these learning styles in person so it's interesting to learn that they translate to online learning as well. 

The distinction between asynchronized and synchronized communication was helpful. Short, sweet, and to the point has been my online style; nevertheless a sentence or two of small talk to start and end does establish more of a caring nature and not just business.

The asynchronous discussion online might be more usfull for the over all class due to the fact that everyone will be participating. This will be more inclusive that way not one student drives the discussion. 

Asynchronus discussions are best to encourage participation from students.

Asynchronous discussions are key to get high participation rates. Providing feedback to students increases engaging and class participation as well. 

Every student has a different learning style. These must be considered when having discussions. The asynchronized discussions would allow for students to take their time as they post. It will help them learn from one another.

Reply to Lawrence Bufalino's post:

I agree, it's important to know what those two types of discussions are and how to implement them into yur online course.

This module has enlightened as to the various communication skills I will need when using synchronous vs. asynchronous technique when dialoguing with students.  My online presence should be one of support, encouraging cofidence, motivation, and participation.  Clarity in the wording I choose to use should be reflective of course objectives and should be model strategies that promote participation from the students.  Although I have never been a participant in a chat I will focus on subject matter that enables all chat participants to feel comfortable, yet challenged in providing responses regarding the subject matter.  Therefore, I will prepare ahead of time the information required for the chat to be successful for student learners.

Engaging learner early all for feedback and a chance for you to comment or a way to ensure students are understanding the required actitity.

I'm understanding some of the general principals but the real test will be when I apply this in real life.  Wondering how an instructor learns to be an online instructor?  I know I will need the same support, feedback and interaction from our supervisors that students receive from us  in order to be competent and improve my skills as I move into the new arena of online instruction.

Participation and encouragement is important in all on-line courses. 

Learning the difference between synchronous and asynchronous meetings and how important student particiaption is for the students, both were helpful learning tools

Sign In to comment