Engaging Learners | Origin: EL102
This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:
Online Teaching Techniques --> Engaging Learners
Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.
Teaching online requires instructors to be organized, flexible, and available to their students. Clear expectations, regular communication, and meaningful activities can help students stay focused and connected throughout the course. It is also important to check student progress frequently and offer additional support when someone is struggling. Creating an environment where students feel comfortable asking questions and participating can make the online learning experience more successful.
I didn't really consider the "small talk" I make with students before/after the video lectures to be more than pleasantries and an opportunity to get to know them better. I was glad to see it mentioned in this module as an appropriate and encouraged thing to do.
I learned that keeping online students engaged can be challenging, so it’s important to make the course interactive. I plan to use discussions, questions, and real-life examples to keep students involved and make the material easier to understand.
Este aprendizaje me hizo pensar que participar en un curso en línea puede ser difícil para algunos estudiantes, especialmente cuando tienen distintos horarios, ritmos o formas de comunicarse. En mi práctica docente procuraré crear foros claros y cercanos, dar espacio para que todos puedan aportar y entregar retroalimentación a tiempo, porque una respuesta respetuosa y oportuna puede marcar una gran diferencia en la motivación de un estudiante.
Managing an online class means navigating the class size, engagement of all students, and various learning styles of those students. Having options of both asynchronous and synchronous assignments, closely monitoring information retention, and providing opportunities for all students to remain engaged with the material will help to ensure success as an online instructor.
Feedback and be taken in a negative and a positive outlook.
Feedback should be encouraging! Giving critical feedback can be done by highlighting things they have done well and giving pointed feedback instead of just bad news.
Effective online engagement requires a good understanding of synchronous vs. asynchronous methods, adapting to diverse learning needs, and maintaining a strong instructor presence.
Engaging online learners can vary from person to person needs. Be prepared to adapt to different types of students.
A very helpful tool is motivation; help to build a student's confidence by showing confidence in their ability and work.
It is important to reach out to students and allow them to be familiar with you.
Asynchronous discussion is important as it provides students who have other responsibilities to engage in education at their own pace while still providing structure to the learning. Synchronous and asynchronous both have their place in online courses.
Having multiple strategies to engage with students gives them options how to connect with them either Synchronous or Asynchonous.
The difference between asynchronous and synchronous. The importance of knowing when to include these types of discussions into a discussion. When it is appropriate to use the two.
In this module it showed the difference between asynchronous and synchronous.
In this module I learned the difference between asynchronous and synchronous. I learned the four different learning style are important when planning discussions.
I learned how to teach multiple students in small groups, inspire them with my biography, teaching in a synchronous or asynchronous environment, maintaining privacy, and individual dignity
I enjoyed learning about the synchronous/asynchronous methods in this module. Thoughtful use of these helps build rapport, encourages open communication, and promotes student success.
I appreciated the review from this model about the appropriate uses for asynchronous/synchronous discussion boards, and what material is appropriate as well.